Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Never seen track like this

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/10/19 20:23
Never seen track like this
Author: railnuts

Last week i took the train to Hartford Ct for my weekly appointment. When i returned getting off at Meriden i noticed this track config. I've never seen this anywhere else
in my travels.
Anyone know what this is suppose to do? The switch machines looked like they're powered. Some sort of ati-derail in the station area?

Freddy

Date: 11/10/19 20:29
Re: Never seen track like this
Author: TCnR

They use something like that in Marin County for the SMARTrail running on the old NWP route. The idea being the platforms were positioned for loading passengers but the freight cars need more clearance, so they use a similar bump out track. There's been discussion and photos about it in the Passenger board.

Date: 11/10/19 20:40
Author: pdt

Gantlet track.  They arent that unusual, especially with more high platforms in 1 or 2 track territory. The 1st one 1 knew of was installed in 1967.   For freight trains to clear high platforms, where pass trains need to be closer to the platform.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/19 20:42 by pdt.

Date: 11/10/19 21:38

Well that makes sense. Never notice this type of trackage before.

Thanks for the replies

Freddy

Date: 11/10/19 21:45
Author: DevalDragon

Before they were used to bypass high level platforms, gauntlet tracks as a cheap way to (kind of) double track bridges.

The South Shore had several gauntlet bridges in recent years - the last one was removed in 2012.

Of course, they did have their share of problems - the most noteworthy incident I recall was the sideswipe back in 1993 west of Gary.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-01-19-9303170373-story.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/19 21:46 by DevalDragon.

Date: 11/11/19 01:23
Author: JPB

I'm no expert on the loading guage of freight cars vs. passenger cars but according to the linked Wikipedia article, in N America passenger cars are typically 10' 6 " wide while freight cars are 10' 8" wide. Freight loads wider than 10' 8" apparently require gantlet track to avoid impacting the lip of the high level platform. Thus the recently re-constructed/double tracked New Haven - Hartford line had high level platforms outfitted with remotely controlled gantlet tracks for passage of freight trains with wide loads. Having said that, one look at your photos show how often the gantlet track is used in practice! Don't think I've ever seen a photo of a freight train using such a platform bypass.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loading_gauge

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 01:42 by JPB.

Date: 11/11/19 04:52
Author: SpeederDriver

Sideswipes were apparently not uncommon.  Here's one on the Long Island Rail Road that killed 29:

Long Island accident

Date: 11/11/19 05:19
Author: gbmott

What's interesting is that there is not a gantlet on the other main track, I suppose indicating that freight trains are restricted to the one equipped track.  Given the condition of the rail in the "freight track", it would appear this is not an issue.  Is there any freight traffic at all on this line? 
It is interesting at gantlet-equipped stations to see whether the platform (passenger) track or the freight track is the straight side of the switches.  If there is substantial freight traffic, as on the former-B&O Camden Line, normally the freight track will be the straight side on the theory that the passenger trains are, by definition, stopping and any speed restriction imposed by the switch is immaterial and wear on the points is less with the lighter passenger trains.
Gordon

Date: 11/11/19 05:39
Author: Buhl56

Would some of the MoW equipment, at the time the high platforms were designed, have needed the additional clearance.
They would have been used infrequently, and probably not at all now.

Bill

Date: 11/11/19 05:47
Author: FloridaTrainGuy

DevalDragon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Before they were used to bypass high level
> platforms, gauntlet tracks as a cheap way to (kind
> of) double track bridges.
>
> The South Shore had several gauntlet bridges in
> recent years - the last one was removed in 2012.
>
> Of course, they did have their share of problems -
> the most noteworthy incident I recall was the
> sideswipe back in 1993 west of Gary.
> https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1993-01
> -19-9303170373-story.html

I'm thinking this is not a true guantlet track.  Probably more of a chicane which would not have switches involved.  Just two tracks that partially overlap for a narrow passage.  Needs just two frogs. 

Date: 11/11/19 05:52
Author: joemvcnj

NJT has them on Conrail's Lehigh Line through Roselle Park and Union. It is a heavy freight Line for NS and CSX. NJT trains not stopping may also take the gaunlet track away from the platform. 

Date: 11/11/19 06:07
Author: PlyWoody

This is so the freight railroad can run extra high-and-wide shipment pass the high level stations.  There has not been any of that traffic yet and the switch is spiked and wedged at the switch points.  For example Electric Boat at New London might have a high and wide they want to move via New Haven, Springfield and west via the B&A. 
The Poughkeepsie bridge had gauntlet track for a number of years to center the weight of very heavy steam engines into the middle of the bridge and not on either side.  That gauntlet had only one frog on each end and no switch points were used, but signal system protected for direction of movement.  The pre-stressed concrete deck on the bridge today has it loaded heaver than it ever was, even with two trains passing when it was double track.  It is a great walk over the bridge and parking is free, best from the west end.  It is the most popular walking site in NY state.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/19 06:17 by PlyWoody.

Date: 11/11/19 07:40
Author: dispr

The South Shore (NICTD) has platform bypass tracks at Hegewisch, Hammond, and East Chicago (and maybe Dune Park) due to the high level platforms.

Date: 11/11/19 08:04
Author: up833

A gantlet track is used on car scales so the loco doesnt impact the weighing equipment.
RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/19 20:41 by up833.

Date: 11/11/19 10:34
Author: ctillnc

Surprised we haven't been lectured yet on gantlet versus gauntlet.

Date: 11/11/19 12:10

gbmott Wrote:
 I suppose indicating that
> freight trains are restricted to the one equipped
> track.  Given the condition of the rail in the
> "freight track", it would appear this is not an
> issue.  Is there any freight traffic at all on
> this line? 

Yes there is freight traffic on the Hartford Line but usually at night although ive heard traffic running
on thr line through Wallingford, Middletown and Cromwell, Rocky Hill to get to Hartford since G&W took
over the P&W. If so, that would save them some bucks that they wouldnt have to pay Amtrak to operate
over their iron.
Theirs a local that works (out of Hartford) the chemical/scrape metal and cement out of North Haven Ct.
The daily train that forwards traffic from West Springfield Ma to Cedar Hill North Haven Ct.
This may b the train that runs at times through Middletown that ive heard late at night passed my home in
Middlefield. Time will tell

Freddy

Date: 11/11/19 17:33
Author: justalurker66

dispr Wrote:
> The South Shore (NICTD) has platform bypass tracks at Hegewisch, Hammond,
> and East Chicago (and maybe Dune Park) due to the high level platforms.

Dune Park is a well placed siding. Freight trains always take the siding diverging away from the platform. In service passenger trains take the main track. Out of service passenger trains can take the siding.

It is interesting that "gauntlet" is used for both styles of track. The one pictured and the ones at NICTD platforms is the type with two switches and no frogs (the rails never cross). SIgnals protect the entrances to the gauntlet but (at least on NICTD) there are no signals where the track merges back to one pair of rails. Gary's imfoumous gauntlet track had frogs but no switches. That style is common for places where the railroad needed to pass a narrow spot (in that case, a bridge) but the railroad did not want to install switches. NICTD added a second bridge in Gary and has now replaced the first.

Date: 11/11/19 18:15
Author: CSX602

Here's the very informative Wiki page on gauntlet tracks...  (and check out the photo in Germany at right)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauntlet_track

Date: 11/12/19 18:20
Author: wpamtk

Also, for freight traffic the platform must also be able to clear a crew member riding on the side of a car.

Date: 11/13/19 06:15
Re: Never seen track like this (new)
Author: gbmott

ctillnc Wrote:
> Surprised we haven't been lectured yet on gantlet
> versus gauntlet.

So you won't be disappointed, I submit the following from The Grammarphobia Blog:

"IS IT "GANTLET" OR "GAUNTLET"?

Q:  Sometimes I see "gantlet" and sometimes I see "gauntlet."  Which one is correct? A:  The old "gantlet/gauntlet" distinction is rapidly being lost, since dictionaries these days are increasingly regarding them as interchangeable."Gantlet" originally came from a Swedish word similar to "lane," and referred to the parallel lines involved in an old form of military punishment.  Someone forced to "run the gantlet" was made to run between parallel lines of his colleagues, who would hit him with clubs or switches as he passed.

A "gauntlet" (French word) was a heavy, armored glove worn by a knight.  As a challenge to fight, the knight would toss his glove to the ground ("throw down the gauntlet").  The opponent accepting the challenge was said to "pick up the gauntlet."

Most dictionaries now accept the spelling "gauntlet' for both of those meanings.  There's still a technical term "gantlet" used in railroading, though."

I first encountered this debate in the late "70s while on loan to the FRA's Northeast Corridor Improvement Program.  Research at the time led to "gantlet" being used in any of our correspondance.

Nitpickingly yours,
Gordon  :-)

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.084 seconds