Home Open Account Help 308 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Nice Light at Steamtown Yard 10/28/19

Date: 11/17/19 08:28
Nice Light at Steamtown Yard 10/28/19
Author: erielackawanna

These will be the last of my good light photos in Scranton as the next day was cloud covered (well except for one or two sucker holes). Steamtown Yard will always hold a very special place in my heart as so much of it is tied to memories of my dad. Although NKP 759 isn't visible in the yard, my first railfanning experience was waiting with my dad for her to come through Glen Rock NJ back in 1970. In 1972 my dad tooks us to Steamtown and his favorite engine was RDG 2124 (my dad grew up near the Reading in NJ and as a kid would ride his bike to the tracks there). My dad loved Steamtown in Bellows Falls and went there other times. In 1977, another early-ish railfanning memory with my dad was going to Upper Darby to see the Brill Bullet cars and hear my dad speak of his memories of the Cincinnati Cars from Allentown that ran on the same tracks. I don't honestly know if my dad was ever in Scranton (we did go to the Poconos when I was a kid though, so probably we were through there at least at some point). I do know that this place, however, is for me all about my dad. Seeing DL 405 there dedicated to a man named "CJ Chuck," really hit me as over my life my dad called me two names, "CJ" and "Chuck."

Image one is the SEPTA Brill Bullet on display at Electric City Trolley Musuem.

Image two and three are of the Reading RS3 that is displayed with a period freight consist.

Date: 11/17/19 08:30
Re: Nice Light at Steamtown Yard 10/28/19

Images four and five are of the CN Baltic.

Image six is of the DL C420 (CJ Chuck, did not know the gentleman this unit was named for)

Date: 11/17/19 08:31

Image seven is RDG T1 2124.

Image eight is a Reading FP7.

Date: 11/17/19 15:01
Author: boejoe

Nice shots.  Happy to see 2124 got a good paint restoration in the Ramble scheme.

Date: 11/17/19 22:36
Author: oyw

Enjoyable series of photos and story.

Date: 11/18/19 07:11
Author: Gonut1

Thanks for a very nice set of photos from around the Poconos. I rode the Bullet cars when they were Philadelphia and Western. It was a real shock when they were replaced by the Chicago EL cars when the new cars didn't arrive on time to replace the Bullets as they were withdrawn from service.
Gonut

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0644 seconds