Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > “A Dogs Life” Decatur Alabama Part II

Date: 11/28/19 04:42
“A Dogs Life” Decatur Alabama Part II
Author: NSSpike

After spending a while at the foot bridge it was time to head back over to Vine Street at the depot to finish up the day there. 

#9. CSX #3237 leads three other units as Q647 (BEDFORD PARK, IL (BRC) – WAYCROSS,GA) running on the Oakworth Siding MP 307.2 at the Vine Street road crossing. Only two units were on line and working and the crew requested the Holmes Gap pusher at MP 328.2 for a push south up the mountain to MP 335.8 north into Cullman Ala. 
#10. Former UP #3513 SD90MAC rebuilt as NS #7288 SD70ACU leads NS 101 ( BULLS GAP,TN – MEMPHIS,TN (UP MSFLN) at CP Vine Street onto the NS main west bound. 
#11. CSX # 3173 with the #8350 in tow leads CSX Q026 “Prince Of Darkness” (JACKSONVILLE,FLA – BEDFORD PARK, IL) north bound on the CSX siding toward River Jct. 

...more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/28/19 04:44
Re: “A Dogs Life” Decatur Alabama Part II

12. On the Oakworth siding CSX #883 leads a unit coal drag CSX N013 (MANITOU,KY - BOSTWICK, FL (Seminole Electric) as several railfans look on at the 2 X 1 powered consist for this unit coal train. 

As the afternoon sun was setting to the west it was time to move to the other side of tracks. After parking I noticed I had a pretty good size screw in my right rear tire. So off to get that resolved while there was still time. Missed an empty Scherer coal drag on the NS side and a few others. But returned for a couple of more to wrap up the day. 
#13. On the CSX main Q511 (NASHVILLE,TN – DECATUR OAKWORTH, AL) manifest. One of the few CSX trains today with all head end power. 

...more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/28/19 04:46

#14. In a 1x1 consist CSX L125 (MEMPHIS,TN – EAST SAVANNAH, GA) southbound by the Vine Street Decatur Depot. 
#15. The last one for the day was east bound NS 102 (SHEFFIELD, AL – BULLS GAP, TN) heading toward River JCT on the NS main.
Of note.. all CSX trains on this day except one (CSX Q511) had mid train DPU's applied. 

….more to follow...

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/28/19 04:49

#16 Sunday morning on the way back to Villa Rica I made a stop at Irondale Ala at the caboose platform when to my surprise east bound on the passenger main at track speed came a 90 car loaded coal train 2x2. Turns out it was a 74G that was headed to Alabama Power Plant Gaston at Yellow Leaf just north of Wilsonville Ala. At Leeds Ala they will take the CofG south to the NS Anniston District N-Line to the plant.
 #17. East of Anniston Alabama at CP Ardrey AMTK 19-02 fly's by the east end of the siding running a tad late this morning.

Thanks for stopping by and remember to always be safe when out track side.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/28/19 05:03
Author: jwl1973

Wonder if CP-Ardrey was named for Frank Ardrey, a well=know rail photographer? 

Date: 11/28/19 05:06
Author: bobk

More nice shots - thanks!

Date: 11/28/19 05:14

jwl1973 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wonder if CP-Ardrey was named for Frank Ardrey, a
> well=know rail photographer? 

That would be correct and a 43 year career working in various positions with the Southern Railway.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 11/29/19 02:07
Author: PRR_4859

Great shots! Any idea where the coal drag for Wilsonville originated? Do you know if CSXT takes trains there as well?

Thank you in advance.

Date: 11/30/19 18:13

PRR_4859 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great shots! Any idea where the coal drag for
> Wilsonville originated? Do you know if CSXT takes
> trains there as well?
>
> Thank you in advance.

Per another posted topic reply by florida581
74G (loads) and 75G (empties) are coal trains that run both the NA and CofG districts.  They run between Segco Mine at Parrish, AL and Plant Gaston (Yellowleaf) at Wilsonville, AL.

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds