Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Lewistown Station @ Night...

Date: 01/11/20 16:56
Lewistown Station @ Night...
Author: NS6707

Took a time exposure of the Lewistown Train Station back on August 30, 2019. This historic station was built back in 1848 by the Pennsylvania Railroad & it still stands today, which is great to see. This is also the oldest surviving structure built by the Pennsylvania Railroad as well. There are currently a group of volunteers that open the waiting room for both Amtrak trains daily. Hopefully you enjoyed this photo, I was really pleased how this came out.

Gage Bishop
Lewistown, PA

Date: 01/11/20 17:00
Re: Lewistown Station @ Night...
Author: King_Coal

Very nice. Lewistown looks so much better than when I was in the area in the mid-70's. Alas, it would be nice to see some more trains using it.

Date: 01/11/20 17:33
Author: Juniata

Gage:

I’ve been wondering when you would post a photo of the Lewistown station.

When we’re back home for a week each summer; I’ll try to run by the station at dusk a couple evenings. I’ve lived away from Lewistown for better than 45 years but, that station is still magic to me!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/11/20 21:06
Author: 611Doug

Gage:
I grew up on Pannebaker Ave. with the Milroy branch right behind my back yard, sure wish I had taken some pictures of the local growing up in the late 60's..  30-35 car trains were not unusual out to the Standard and Bethlehem Steel Naginey quarry.
Doug

Date: 01/12/20 06:02
Author: billio

Nice!  The lighting reminds me of an Edward Hopper painting.

Date: 01/12/20 20:44
Author: Mgoldman

Nice shot - and much welcomed (and surprising) details!

Hard to believe that is the oldest surviving PRR built structure
though 1848 would certainly suggest it's likely.

The Shawmont depot in the Manyunk section of Philadelphia is
a bit older, built in 1834 by the the Philadelphia, Germantown &
Norristown Railroad (first railroad to build in Philadelphia).  It
survives today and is the oldest purpose built surviving railroad
depot in the United States. The station was in use till 1990.

/Mitch

Date: 01/13/20 09:22
Author: RailBaron84

Worth noting is that the station and the property around it are currently owned and operated by the Pennsylvania Railroad, Technical & Historical Society. In addition to the volunteer operated waiting room in the bay window of the station, the remainder of the structure is utilized as an archive facility to preserve the history of the PRR and its subsidiary companies and meeting area for the PRRT&HS to conduct its business as needed. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0279 seconds