Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Rolling Meet Under Stanley Ave in Dayton Ohio Today, And More

Date: 01/12/20 20:20
Rolling Meet Under Stanley Ave in Dayton Ohio Today, And More
Author: tq-07fan

Stanley Ave was actually named after Gypsies who immigrated to the Dayton Ohio area in the late 1800's. 
Dayton’s gypsy heritage recalled on street signs   
Stanley Ave crosses over what was the B & O - C H & D Toledo Sub, which is an important part of today's CSX. From the overpass you can see a nice view of the distant downtown Dayton skyline. Today, January 12 the high cloud ceiling was actually ideal for pictures. Coming from my mom's house I ended up getting ahead of CSX Q 508 which had an approach on track 2 at North Dayton, which meant something was lined south on number 1. Sure enough as Q 508 was passing Needmore Yard the headlight of L 561, which was running with a DPU today.
1) Q 508 passing the remains of Leo Street Yard, named after the road crossing in the background. My recent thread on Leo St.
2) Q 508 with empty slab cars is passing L 561 with loaded slab cars. 
3) L 561 The signals are North Dayton which was also the junction for the Cut Off which connected the Wellston Sub to the Toledo Sub as opposed to coming out on the original C H & D Wellston Sub mainline to downtown Dayton.

Date: 01/12/20 20:22
Re: Rolling Meet Under Stanley Ave in Dayton Ohio Today, And More

I could hear something else heading north so stuck around for one more CSX southbound. I checked out a few other things then heard someone on the Norfolk Southern channel being told they would be held at the siding at Enon for a 376 already coming through Moraine. 
4) I could never tell what the ID was this guy except it ended in 350.
5) Findlay Street is basically the continuation of Stanley Ave, like many streets in and around Dayton it changes names without really having to turn off one street onto another. Findlay Street of course was the location of Findlay Street Yard of the New York Central. Although there is still a small yard now there are industrial sites and even a Safety Village.
6) NS 376 passing Mile Post 206 as measured from Cleveland. On the left is what remains of the B & O Wellston Sub, it now ends at the scrap yard.

Date: 01/12/20 20:23
Re: Rolling Meet Under Stanley Ave in Dayton Ohio Today, And More

I decided to chase 376 as I had the day off. i wasn't really sure where to go but then remembered that the Crowell Collier Publishing buildings are finally being torn down in Springfield, finally. They have been there disused for so many years I almost forgot about it.
7-8) Springfield Ohio is a No Horn Zone on the NS Dayton District as seen here at Wittenburg Street. In the background is what is left of the Crowell Collier Publishing. 
9) I could not get ahead to get a shot where I wanted so ended up at the crossing of US 42 which is High Street in London Ohio and went home.

Thank you for Looking!

Jim 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0744 seconds