Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Do CSX and NS still share trackage to north of Cincinnati?

Date: 01/14/20 16:24
Do CSX and NS still share trackage to north of Cincinnati?
Author: twropr

About 12-13 years ago I remember an agreement that established directional running between Hamilton (Butler St.) and ?NA Tower in Cincinnati.  I think the southbounds used CSX and northbounds NS.  Is this arrangement still in effect?  If so, would the Ohio & Indiana participate in the directional running?
Thanks!
Andy

Date: 01/14/20 16:50
Re: Do CSX and NS still share trackage to north of Cincinnati?
Author: howeld

Yes still in place up to Hamilton and no this does not effect I&O beyond where the Dayton District cuts off. SB on NS. NB on CSX but CSX is double track so they do take some SB that way occasionally.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/15/20 05:41
Author: jwl1973

Northbound CSX & NS (headed to Ft. Wayne) use CSX (ex-B&O) trackage between Winton Place and Hamilton (Butler St.), while most southbounds use NS New Castle (former PRR) between Hamilton (Butler St.) and CP-248 in Evendale, then over NS Dayton District (ex- NYC) to Winton Place.  An exception:  CSX southbounds off its Indianapolis Sub. use CSX tracks both directions.  Same for Amtrak's Cardinal.

Between Winton Place and Hopple Steet, there are 3 tracks.  CSX owns #1 & #2 while NS owns #3 --- all 3 are dispatched by CSX.

Indiana and Ohio also uses CSX tracks between Winton Place and Hopple Street, as does Amtrak.  

Date: 01/15/20 07:50
Author: toledopatch

Also, NS northbounds going toward Columbus use the ex-NYC (by necessity similar to that of CSX southbounds from the Indiana side using the ex-B&O).

On occasion, other southbound trains use the B&O out of Hamilton -- most likely when the NS routing is congested or there's track work on the single iron between Butler St and CP-248.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0352 seconds