Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > FEC/Brightline

Date: 01/14/20 18:49
FEC/Brightline
Author: dh1205

I am going to be visiting Florida in a couple of weeks. I'm familiar with the FEC as far south as Stuart, but I'd like to venture further south and get some pictures of Brightline. What are some locations that are good to sit at for a few hours to get some nice pictures.  I am restricted to using a walker or a wheelchair so any spots would need to somewhat handicapped accessible. I have a car so I can drive to the locations. I also plan on riding the train out of West Palm Beach at some point so any locations within a short walk of the Fort Lauderdale or Miami stations would also be nice. 

Thanks

Date: 01/14/20 19:06
Re: FEC/Brightline
Author: rbenko

In West Palm Beach, you can get nice pictures from the sidewalk of Quadrille Blvd, which parallels the FEC on the east side of the tracks - nice morning shots with the Brightline Station as your backdrop.  

In Ft. Lauderdale, just south of the station the FEC crosses a two-track drawbridge over the New River.  There is a river walk on the north bank of the river where you can sit and get great views of the drawbridge.  If you're in the mood for some decent seafood, on the south bank of the river is a restaurant called Pirate Republic Seafood with outdoor seating on a dock that has a splendid view of the drawbridge - good for afternoon shots.  

Miami Central Station is elevated, so it's pretty tough to shoot trains from ground level.  However, the station complex itself is quite impressive.

Good luck and have fun!

Date: 01/14/20 19:52
Author: Lackawanna484

Those are excellent suggestions.  Low on scenic value (the loading dock of a Winn-Dixie is the background), the Gregory Avenue crossing on the West Palm Beach / Lake Worth Beach border offers a nice train view from the car. There's a Wendy's just across the tracks. Florida Highway 811 paralels the FEC from Tequesta to Oakland Park,  usually alongside, rarely more than a mile away.

There are several shopping centers and strip malls in Boca Raton with nice morning light on the BrightLine

Farther south, I would add the terrace of the Funky Buddha brewery in Oakland Park.  Outdoor seating, about 50 feet from the tracks on the east side of the railroad.

And, the terrace of the American Icon brewery in Fort Lauderdale.  It's a few blocks north of the Fort Lauderdale BrightLine station.

I haven't figured out a good angle for BrightLine plus the Goodyear blimp facility in Deerfield Beach. Many airships return for the winter season.

Date: 01/15/20 10:50
Author: dal3294

Just south of the new river bridge is a spot where you can park trackside. Look to the first crossing south of the bridge. Just beware of your surroundings in any urban south FL areas.

RN

Date: 01/16/20 05:47
Author: dh1205

Thank you for the suggestions, they are very helpful.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds