Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Elkins, WV, area... in winter

Date: 01/16/20 21:43
Elkins, WV, area... in winter
Author: robbie

Somewhat unexpectedly, I'll be attending a professional conference in early February at a retreat center in Huttonsville, WV, which looks to be about midway between Elkins and Cass. I'll likely make a one-day drive down there from Toledo, Ohio, but wouldn't mind splitting up the return trip. Alas, my hope that the Cass Scenic Railroad might run all year appears to be dashed, and it sounds like there's not a lot of other activity in the area around Elkins in the wintertime. I've never been to this specific region of West Virginia, so am not too familiar with it -- except that, as a friend from the area told me, "nothiing is close on West Virginia roads!" So, wondering if folks might have any good suggestions for something interesting, if I were to take an extra day somewhere?

I few ideas that have crossed my mind:
-- I'd *love* to try and see some of the remaining N&W position-color lights, as they're likely my favorite signals. But again, actual driving time over to the Shenandoah line in Virginia is quite a bit longer than I was hoping -- and would be exactly opposite where I need to go. Don;t suppose there are any N&W signals left in central WV or along the Ohio River?
-- I've previously visited some spots along the C&O in the New River Gorge, which would also get me closer to I-77 and US 33 to head back into Ohio. But I've never had muich luck with trains there, and the road down to Thurmond is an adventure even in summer weather...
-- Google Maps suggests I head up through Pittsburgh and across the Ohio Turnpike to return to Toledo rather than through Columbus and up. My family has often stopped around Cranberry, PA, on trips back from my wife's friends farther east, and I've often found excuses to sit by the old PRR signals at Rochester where the Ohio and Beaver rivers meet. But I think I heard that these have now also fallen?

If nothing else, of course, I can simply enjoy the beautiful scenery in West Virginia, or make my way back to family in Columbus or railfanning in Berea for a stopover. But if there's something interesting and new in the middle of the WV mountains, and especially if it involved any "heritage signals" that are still standing, would love to hear any ideas!

As always, thanks in advance!
Robbie

Date: 01/17/20 03:10
Re: Elkins, WV, area... in winter
Author: Roadbed

In the Elkins area, I'd say your best best is Grafton, WV for seeing train action. I haven't been there in years, so I'm not sure if any B&O CPL signals still stand.

Date: 01/17/20 04:07
Author: DJ-12

Grafton is definitely the operational heart of the region even if it is a shell of its former self due to the decline of coal. Its about an hour north of Elkins on the way to Pittsburgh. CSX runs trains in 3 directions from there and also interchanges freight and coal with A&O. The challenge is the 2 road trains 316/317 are pretty much night trains now. 317 leaves westward just before dawn and might nlve found if they are running late. With coal being so sporadic, everything else is kind of a crapshoot.

You will actually be not that far as the crow flies from Alexander WV, which is deep in the mountains and where the A&O out of Grafton connects to the Beech Mountain Railroad, which uses ancient Alco switchers to haul coal down from a mine at Carter Roag. BMR enginehouse is at Alexander. I can’t speak to how easy or hard it would be to navigate the back roads over there. The problem is of course that chances of finding anything running are haphazard at best. BMR loads maybe a train per week and sometimes goes weeks without loading. Best bet of you want to roll the dice and head over is to be there in the AM.

The nominal base for A&O operations is Buckhannon WV west of Elkins. There is usually power there and if you stop at the office they might let you know if anything is running. The line from Grafton to a point just south of Buckhannon still features CPL signals, the last large group remaining in WV. The easiest ones to see are at Smith Summit north of Buckhannon. A&O probably runs 1-2 crews every 24 hours. They run coal from the BMR, a mine north Phillipi, and a mine way down at Brooks Run, plus local freight. Operations are sporadic.

The closest hope of anything running nearby is the West Virginia Central. Their passenger ops are probably done for the season, but they do freight and car storage in Elkins and road salt to Aggregates Wv. Ops are out of Belington with their vintage power which includes F units and A BL2 in WM paint. Once again, best bet is a morning call at Belington they are running.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/20 10:27 by DJ-12.

Date: 01/17/20 04:27
Author: DJ-12

Also, you mentioned Pittsburgh. We still have trains aplenty here, but as you suspected all the PRR signals fell this past summer. If you come back this way, you should check out the MGA coalfields off I 79 around Waynesburg. Bailey mine nearby is still good for loading several trains per day.

Also, the Cumberland Mine RR crosses I79 at Kirby. They run a shuttle train with an SD38 on each end several times a day and the best shot is right next to the I79 ramp. Find the county road that crosses the railroad there just west of 79, park be patient and wait. Good luck!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/17/20 05:26
Author: ShortlinesUSA

I will say this-- getting down into Palace Valley during the winter was one of the worst white knuckle driving experiences I have ever had on a railfanning trip.  Those dirt roads with some snow and ice are not for the faint of heart (or those not accustomed to driving in WV mountain hollers during winter).

The Alexander locomotives are kept indoors when not in use, so a "drive by" for roster shots is not something you can plan on.

Freight on the Durbin & Greenbrier Valley is typically run once a week.  Last time I was through there, it was on Tuesdays.  But with this being prime road salt shipping season, operations could be a bit more frequent.  Swinging by their yard and shop in Belington should at least afford a few photo opportunities of vintage diesels.

If you are at all into craft beers, I know several friends who are big fans of Big Timber brewing in Elkins.  Might be a good excursion if you need a little diversion from the conference.  I attend enough to know that need arises more often than not... ;-p

Back to the trains, Grafton is the best suggestion for catching something.  It's a really need railroad town which is worth a visit, even with just the hopes of catching something. Here's a shot from Grafton back in busier times:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/133436477@N08/42485571181/in/dateposted-public/

Good luck!

DJ-12 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> You will actually be not that far as the crow
> flies from Alexander WV, which is deep in the
> mountains and where the A&O out of Grafton
> connects to the Beech Mountain Railroad, which
> uses ancient Alco switchers to haul coal down from
> a mine at Carter Roag. BMR enginehouse is at
> Alexander. I can’t speak to how easy or hard it
> would be to navigate the back roads over there.
> The problem is of course that chances of finding
> anything running are haphazard at best. BMR loads
> maybe a train per week and sometimes goes weeks
> without loading. Best bet of you want to roll the
> dice and head over is to be there in the AM.
>

Date: 01/17/20 05:40
Author: MPCA349

I live in Southern WV, and I'm very familiar with the operations in the area you'll be attempting.

B&O CPLs exist on the A&O between below Berkeley Run Junction to Hampton Junction on the former Cowen line.  Berryburg is a favorite of mine personally.  There's usually a train to chase somewhere on the A&O during the week, but times and locations can vary.

Beech Mtn was mentioned in an above comment.  Their Ops are nearly impossible to pattern and it's not really a location you can just casually drive by and see if they are working.  I've been fortunate to shoot them many times, but not due to lucking into them.  The roads to Alexander and on towards Palace Valley are very poor in snow.  If you're not in an AWD / 4WD forget making it to Palace Valley with snow on the ground.  When they do load, they go on duty around 0400-0430 and will be done around 1500.

New River Gorge is an hour from where I live, and Thurmond is highly recommended.  Again, the road is poor in snow.  Present day there is anywhere from 2-13 moves on CSX per 24 hours.  You can also see if RJ Corman is loading on Loup Creek (the branch that crosses the river in Thurmond to Pioneer Fuels Hopkins near Pax).  They load 2-3 times a week generally with CSX power and their 2 Tunnel Motors.  RJ goes on duty around 0700 and They like to load on Mondays and Thursdays usually.

Grafton used to be a happening place and one of my more enjoyable go to locations.  Unfortunately, the majority of the coal is now going out the Fairmont side and up to Newell instead of going over the mountain to Cumberland.  Aside from the Q316/317, an Mty train or two, and the B772 'local' the mountain is pretty dead for now.

WVC can run a couple times a week M-F with an occasional Sat run.  Usually on duty in the AM.  Wouldn't hurt to check on them if you have time.

If there's anything else I can assist with just let me know.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/20 05:45 by MPCA349.

Date: 01/17/20 05:50
Author: bigsavage

The best road in-out of Elkins is US33 to Buckhannon, so that is a logical first stop as suggested. Traveling on I-79 to Morgantown gives the option of staying on I-79 to access the SW PA coalfields as previously mentioned, or using I-68/RT43 (tolls) into Fayette County to easily reach Brownsville, Connellsville, and other spots closer to the Burgh.
That said, most of us would like to find a way-back machine to go back to Elkins and Grafton in the good ol' days, pre-1980s!

Date: 01/18/20 16:03
Author: msullivan93

MPCA349 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> B&O CPLs exist on the A&O between below Berkeley
> Run Junction to Hampton Junction on the former
> Cowen line.  Berryburg is a favorite of mine
> personally.  There's usually a train to chase
> somewhere on the A&O during the week, but times
> and locations can vary.

Side note.. A&O and CSX have filed to shut down the signal system on the Cowen Sub, so I would get those while you still can.

Mike

Date: 01/20/20 13:53
Author: dbrcnw

If your travels take you near (or to) Cass be sure to visit the National Radio Astronomy Observatory which is nearby. (It's not far from Elkins) You'll see one of (if not) the largest radio telescopes in the US. Well worth a visit.

DaleR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1133 seconds