Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cold remains of a Christmas past (RJ Corman)

Date: 01/23/20 10:57
Cold remains of a Christmas past (RJ Corman)
Author: EL833

In the nearly 4 days I spent over in the Cresson/Altoona, Pa area earlier this week there was a wide variety of weather. My arrival around noon on Sunday the 19th found the snow still coming down in Cresson and getting colder by the minute. Having lived there for 4 years back in the late 90s that was of course no surprise- but I was hoping for some challenging conditions. A check of the west (north) end of the Park yard in Cresson found RJ Corman doing a little switching before heading out for Clearfield. A car of lumber and some left over grain loads from the 5 west derailment would be the train. One of the photos on the resulting little chase was the train passing what I'm sure was someone's leftover Christmas tree, tossed aside near the tracks and forgotten. I did some "normal" shots here as well, but thought including that poor dead tree in the snow might add a story line to an otherwise basic photo. I believe the former switch under the units was Ebensburg Junction- that other track curved across the road and disappeared into the thick overgrowth just behind me. Closest town would be Munster, Pa just to the south of here.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/20 11:01 by EL833.

Date: 01/23/20 11:24
Re: Cold remains of a Christmas past (RJ Corman)
Author: refarkas

Great creativity.
Bob

Date: 01/23/20 11:49
Author: callum_out

Very nice, I'm find I llike snow shots much better since I moved away from it!

Out 

Date: 01/24/20 05:11
Author: MdRailfan

Where was the carload of lumber going?

Date: 01/24/20 09:31
Author: rrartist

Neat for sure and a excellent story line as well!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/24/20 12:15
Author: bluesboyst

Nice shot.  I wonder where that lumber car was going?

Date: 01/24/20 12:37
Author: EL833

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shot.  I wonder where that lumber car was going?

Good question- first one of those I've seen on RJC in Cresson, wondered the same.

Roger Durfee
Akron, OH

Date: 01/24/20 18:56
Author: MdRailfan

Many years  ago the 84 Lumber in Munster used to get them, so I asked the question thinking someone would tell me where, if not 84 resuming shipping by rail.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0377 seconds