Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The CKIN - Chesapeake & Indiana at Rest

Date: 02/12/20 13:08
The CKIN - Chesapeake & Indiana at Rest
Author: WrongMain

We made a  quick trip into the wilds of northwest Indiana Tuesday, in search of the Chesapeake & Indiana, or the CKIN as it is known.  The CKIN wasn't moving, didn't even cross the road.  But that allowed for a couple of roster shots of its neat fleet of rebuilt SD-Ms, which are ex DMIR and EJ&E SD9's or SD18's.  

First up is the 815, an ex DMIR SD-M, which we found just south of Hannah.  It was resting with the 813.

Next shot is of the 818, which according to the stencils, is a "SD9M."  It was resting just south of Union Mills with the 804 as company.

To round out the photos, I've included the 5115, a high hood GP38-2, working the grain elevator at Union Mills back in November.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/20 13:09 by WrongMain.

Date: 02/12/20 14:29
Re: The CKIN - Chesapeake & Indiana at Rest
Author: ghemr

Perfect day for photos of this unique railroad!

Date: 02/12/20 16:00
Author: refarkas

Well done. Your third photo at the grain elevator is my favorite.
Bob

Date: 02/12/20 17:15
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the pics...

Date: 02/12/20 17:47
Author: BaltoJoey

What a grandiose name for a railroad. Will that line ever reach the Chesapeake Bay? It reminds of days of yore.
When railroads took on unrealistic geographical names for their endpoints!

Date: 02/12/20 18:34
Author: WrongMain

The name comes from the original owner, the Chesapeake & Ohio of Indiana, whose right of way the CKIN uses today.  The railroad runs from Wellsboro down to LaCrosse, IN, which was first a C&O line out of New Buffalo, MI.  At LaCrosse, it swings onto the old C&O of Indiana and runs to English Lake, with rights to North Judson, home of the Hoosier Valley RR museum.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/20 19:16 by WrongMain.

Date: 02/12/20 18:34
Author: halfmoonharold

I believe the name refers to the heritage of some of their trackage (C&O).

Date: 04/11/20 09:27
Author: CR6377

Whats the usual schedule for their movements and trains? 

Marc L

Date: 04/11/20 18:22
Author: wabash2800

The railroad's signal maintainer (a friend of mine) recently installed this B&O position light signal (obtained from CSX) at Union Mills on the C&I. It is fully operational and is the approach signal to the CSX home signal. He says the president of the C&I loves it.
 It's normally at Slow Approach (diagonally yellow). It clears to Approach Slow when the home signal clears (vertical green with a yellow marker lamp above). When the house loses the 110Volts, it goes to Stop and Proceed (red).

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds