Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Are less trains running as a result of the Coronavirus ?

Date: 03/22/20 07:53
Are less trains running as a result of the Coronavirus ?
Author: dschlegel

It may just be that I am nuts, but it seems as if there have been fewer and fewer trains each day.
I live a block north of the NS Reading line and have heard just one train since 5:30am.

Has anyone else noticed a significant traffic decline in their area?

If so what can it be attributed to?

Thanks,
Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/22/20 07:56
Re: Are less trains running as a result of the Coronavirus ?
Author: engineerinvirginia

dschlegel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It may just be that I am nuts, but it seems as if
> there have been fewer and fewer trains each day.
> I live a block north of the NS Reading line and
> have heard just one train since 5:30am.
>
> Has anyone else noticed a significant traffic
> decline in their area?
>
> If so what can it be attributed to?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan
>
> Posted from iPhone

Nothing different on my line.....yet....I can see trains getting to 400 cars long with DP in three different spots.....

Date: 03/22/20 08:37
Author: krm152

With the automakers on a temporary shutdown, there consequently will be a downturn in related traffic.
ALLEN

Date: 03/22/20 08:45
Author: goneon66

out on the bnsf's seligman sub from what i have seen in the last month, yes, less trains running.

i have also saw an unusual amount of e/b baretables in march..........

Date: 03/22/20 08:55
Author: GP30Frank

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
---------------------------------------------

> Nothing different on my line.....yet....I can see
> trains getting to 400 cars long with DP in three
> different spots.....

This brings up a question to me .      Is there a limitation  for DP as to length of train or  how many DP's you can have in a train ?

Date: 03/22/20 08:59
Author: jwl1973

The auto shutdown will certainly reduce the level of auto traffic moving.  The virus in China has had an adverse effect on shipping . . . . and eventually intermodal train traffic.

Date: 03/22/20 09:21
Author: Passfanatic

I don't know much on the effect that it will have on freight trains but passenger trains, yes. Passenger rail companies have been cutting back on their trains a lot. Amtrak isn't running on its full schedule. NJT just started running on an enhanced weekend schedule the other day.

Date: 03/22/20 09:27
Author: Foamductor

GP30Frank Wrote:
>
>    This brings up a question to me .      Is
> there a limitation  for DP as to length of train
> or  how many DP's you can have in a train ?
>  

Up to 4 remote consist IIRC with the current software. I've never had more than 2 in my experience, but I know the Canadian carriers like to run some 4 and 5 consist trains. 

Some carriers have rules regarding how far apart consist can be, ~8000ft seems to be common.  DP radios are significantly more powerful than EOT/HOT radios, so communication issues aren't as common in my experience. (20-40 watts for DP radios depending who made them, vs 8 watts for EOTD/HOTD) 

Date: 03/22/20 09:32
Author: bigsavage

Of the VR cams I watch that are in PA., Horseshoe is rolling with all kinds of traffic, some trains seem a little shorter with no helpers, and no Amtrak.
Greencastle seems normal, a fair share of Heritage units, and a blue LTEX GP15-1 tagging along on an eastbound at 11:10am.
Paradise/Leaman place is dead with no Amtrak, and no Strasburg passenger. Strasburg freight seems busy, with 13 incoming cars earlier this week. The little Strasburg SW had to make 2 trips.

Date: 03/22/20 09:34
Author: RayH

NS runs a daily double stack (238) from Atlanta to Charleston. It also picks up a block of manifest freight in Columbia. Over the past 3 weeks with my random sightings, I've seen shorter intermodal blocks. General freight and aggregate blocks seem much larger.

BMW is shutting down production in Spartanburg for 2 weeks, which should lead to the cancellation of the daily autorack trains 27T/28T. With less production, the container traffic from the Port of Charleston to Greer SC (parts for BMW production) will probably also decrease. If the disruption goes for a longer period fo time, it could impact the intermodal pair to Greer (20D/21D) too.

Date: 03/22/20 09:35

hasn't china's production significantly decreased in the last 2 months?  if so, would that decrease our imports/containers?

Date: 03/22/20 09:49
Author: callum_out

Yes but China is said to be approaching 95% of capacity ability shortly, domestic consumption will be the key to the container
business.

Out 

Date: 03/22/20 10:06
Author: wyeth

I think there will definitely be a major reduction in rail traffic, but more because of the economic fallout from this crisis.  There has been many signs that the economy was on shaky ground to start and it's likely that this will push it over the edge.  Earlier in the week, there was lots of talk of the "R" word (Recession) - which I'm sure is a given at this point.  However, recently, I've been hearing more of the "D" word (Depression) being used out there.  We haven't reallly been here before in modern economic times, where essentially, the world is shutting down - it's a huge question on how this will affect the world economies in the long term.  My gut is telling me its going to be a long recovery, when ever that even begins.

Date: 03/22/20 10:14

the INCREASING unemployment rate (for who knows how long) and subsequent decrease in household cash reserves will dictate spending money on essential items only (food, medicine, rents/mortages, utilities, etc.).  we are fortunate that we don't have to depend on other countries for food or energy.

i would expect a HUGE decrease in the demand of goods produced abroad that are not in the "essential" category (furniture, electronic items, toys, some clothing, etc.) for a while  if so, that will mean less containers moving into our ports.

the decrease in household cash reserves could also lead to another problem but i won't go there YET...........

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/20 10:20 by goneon66.

Date: 03/22/20 10:23
Author: highgreengraphics

Isn't the Port of LA shut down? I heard that it was, which directly affects containers being shipped by rail. === === = === JLH

Date: 03/22/20 10:39
Author: DLM

All ports are open, China is 90% back to normal. Ships heading this way are full.  Chinese are placing lots of orders in the US to make up for the lost 6 weeks per my hardwood lumbe and soy bean customers.  Westbound ship bookings are now 4 plus weeks out.  It will take time to get the ship rotations back to normal.

Date: 03/22/20 11:35
Author: wabash2800

But aren't they supposed to be making ventilaters and other medical equipment instead? And is it possible that many items like face masks and gowns are made in China?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erswhilepublications.com

krm152 Wrote:
> With the automakers on a temporary shutdown, there
> consequently will be a downturn in related
> traffic.
> ALLEN

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/20 11:37 by wabash2800.

Date: 03/22/20 12:00
Author: ns1000

Some trains are running. I saw 2 when I left the house the other morning. Overall though, there is definitely a decrease in train activity for a number of reasons (not all because of what's in the news).

Posted from Android

Date: 03/22/20 18:02
Author: engineerinvirginia

GP30Frank Wrote:
> engineerinvirginia Wrote:
> ---------------------------------------------
>
> > Nothing different on my line.....yet....I can
> see
> > trains getting to 400 cars long with DP in
> three
> > different spots.....
>
>    This brings up a question to me .      Is
> there a limitation  for DP as to length of train
> or  how many DP's you can have in a train ?
>  

Yes, but rules are made to be rescinded....and they always are at some point.

Date: 03/23/20 05:55
Author: eaglebridge

Due to the Hoosac tunnel being out of service, we were seeing about 2/3-1/2 the traffic out here in Eagle Bridge, NY on PAS.  But that is unrelated to COVID-19.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.077 seconds