Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Arkansas & Oklahoma wants to aquire RJ Corman line in Tennessee

Date: 03/24/20 18:34
Arkansas & Oklahoma wants to aquire RJ Corman line in Tennessee
Author: Shortline614

This is some strange news.

The Arkansas & Oklahoma Railroad wants to acquire a line in Tennessee that RJ Corman is in the process of abandoning. The line is the former Tennessee Railroad, which runs from Oneida to Devonia, Tennessee. The line hasn't seen a train since 2004. This article, written before the actual STB abandonment application, gives some good info on the line: https://www.ihoneida.com/2020/02/11/railroad-company-to-file-for-abandonment-of-former-tennessee-railroad-line/

The A-OK has filed an application with the STB, saying it has the ability to operate the line at a profit. If the line were to transport coal it's currently going price, the line could make a profit of $761,888. Unless they have a customer lined up to ship coal on the line, I don't see they're plan going through.

https://dcms-external.s3.amazonaws.com/DCMS_External_PROD/1585078492044/300508.pdf

Date: 03/24/20 19:18
Re: Arkansas & Oklahoma wants to aquire RJ Corman line in Tenness
Author: march_hare

Who in their right mind would invest in Appalachian steam coal now?

Date: 03/24/20 19:40
Re: Arkansas & Oklahoma wants to aquire RJ Corman line in Tenness
Author: callum_out

All they have to do is file an OFA (Offer of Financial Assistance) which will start the process by which they can purchase
or lease the property. This will stop an abadonment petition in it's tracks (so to speak). 

Out 

Date: 03/25/20 01:40
Re: Arkansas & Oklahoma wants to acquire RJ Corman line in Tennes
Author: ClubCar

march_hare Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Who in their right mind would invest in
> Appalachian steam coal now?

I question the same thing?  And if R.J. Corman does not want the line, that makes me also wonder?  What other potential business could there be for this rail line?  One can spend a ton of money not only purchasing the property but in rehabbing and then maintaining such a line in order to make a decent profit.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 03/25/20 06:19
Author: doc1057

This is a head scratcher for sure. The line is in my area of the world. It accesses an area that has minimal highway transportation, but is very scenic. Coal deposits are still present along the line, and were RJC's reason to purchase it. However, there has been little activity in recent years. IMO,  no other freight business potential exists, save car storage. On the other hand, the line was well maintained and may not need as much work as some surmise. Maybe someone plans to set up a tourist operation. The nearby Great Smoky Mtn. RR has been very successful in this, so there is an exemplar. The Corman line is easily accessible from I-75 and US-27 at its upper end, and there is a huge midwest-FL vacation traffic flow on I-75.

Date: 03/25/20 07:29
Author: 1019X

There was an attempt to run a tourist operation on the line in the last 10 years. There was an (ex Reading I think) RS3 painted in Southern Green and a handful of coaches. I think they may have operated a couple of seasons.

Date: 03/25/20 07:33
Author: Jimbo

1019X Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There was an attempt to run a tourist operation on
> the line in the last 10 years. There was an (ex
> Reading I think) RS3 painted in Southern Green and
> a handful of coaches. I think they may have
> operated a couple of seasons.

Yes, that's the equipment shown in the first link in the Oneida, TN, article from February 11.  Pretty derelict by now.

Date: 03/25/20 07:49
Author: Lackawanna484

That's an exceptionally well written background on the line, and the major players.

Date: 03/26/20 17:17
Author: yes

I would like to see them buythe littlerock and Western with trackage rights on the up Memphis sub r the Brinkley sub with the exception of the n.littlerock Brinkley segment but I guess it cost to much dollars.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0842 seconds