Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > FL: Boeing aircraft parts rail carrier

Date: 03/24/20 08:15
FL: Boeing aircraft parts rail carrier
Author: Lackawanna484

Triumph Industries in Stuart FL is a sub-contractor for Boeing, and makes parts for the military and commercial business. They regularly load specialty components into Boeing transport rail cars.  There are several different styles, designed to carry assembled wings or vertical stabilizers, etc.

The unit covers slide back toward the end of the rail car, allowing the parts to dropped in from above. Loading is usually done inside the plant. On the rare occasions it is done outside, sheriff's deputies provide a security cordon.

Triumph announced yesterday that its executives would forgo part of their base pay, and more than 500 employees would be furloughed due to a lack of business activity.  When Boeing ran full blast, Triumph would load one or two cars daily. Now, rail cars sit there for days, and the parking lot is only partly filled.

Date: 03/24/20 13:50
Re: FL: Boeing aircraft parts rail carrier
Author: callum_out

500 employees is a pittance compared to what has happened at Spirit.

Out 

Date: 03/24/20 15:53
Author: pbrasky

I've seen those cars many times off Dixie H'way, but never knew what they were for or that they were built on site.  Thanks for the info!

Date: 03/24/20 17:55
Author: radar

Boeing is closed down now, so they won't be needing parts.

Date: 03/24/20 18:16
Author: ATSF90East

These particular cars carry subassemblies for the Boeing 767 / KC-46.  An easy way to tell on the boeing owned cars is the first part of the car number is the type of aircraft :)

Date: 03/25/20 20:26
Author: flarails882

I bet the reporting marks TBCX would stand for The Boeing Company - leased

Date: 03/24/21 09:06

Norfolk Southern carries the Boeing empties from Kansas City MO to Jacksonville FL, I've seen them recently  on the Cordele camera.  Florida East Coast takes them down to Fort Pierce,  local 920 spots them in Triumph.

The plant is back in business, with a huge WE ARE HIRING banner out front. Generally two cars in the yard / inside, and at least one on the incoming delivery track.

Date: 03/24/21 11:45
Author: Sp1110

I think it is funny that the Sheriff has to provide security for loading the rail cars. Who would try to steal a vertical stabilizer?

Date: 03/24/21 13:13

Sp1110 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it is funny that the Sheriff has to
> provide security for loading the rail cars. Who
> would try to steal a vertical stabilizer?

Yes, that was in the original 2020 post.  I haven't seen deputies around the plant in a while

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds