Home Open Account Help 336 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CSX Goulding Yard Pensacola FL

Date: 04/05/20 18:35
CSX Goulding Yard Pensacola FL
Author: knoxcola

Friday I traveled to Pensacola to attend a funeral on Saturday.  Went to CSX's Goulding Yard and observed an auto rack train parked on the main at the Fairfield Dr overpass.  I was baffled by this because there were no more scheduled through trains since CSX sold the Pensacola to Jacksonville line.

Mid-Saturday afternoon the funeral procession crossed the Texas Drive overpass and there was the same parked train.  There was no power on this end.  Later, around 6 pm, went to get takeout just west of the Brent Lane overpass and there was the same parked auto rack train with no power on the opposite end.  The parked train was maybe 1.5 miles long.

Any ideas as to its destination?  Maybe headed for storage on the Florida, Gulf & Atlantic RR?  Had to leave and return back to Knoxville.

Date: 04/05/20 18:36
Re: CSX Goulding Yard Pensacola FL
Author: goneon66

could it be mtys parked/stored?

Date: 04/05/20 18:44
Author: knoxcola

I was on a time schedule both days and couldn't get an up close observation.  Plus I was the one doing the driving with my wife yearning for takeout dinner.

Date: 04/06/20 00:26
Author: Soo715

Stored autoracks sounds likely. From what I understand most/all auto production facitilies in the US are shut down right now so there are probably a lot of auto rack cars in storage all over.

That said, I'd be very curious as to operations on the west end of the Florida Gulf Coast and Atlantic. Is there a turn out of Pensacola into Mobile? How often? Very little information seems to be available on operations on this line, especially west of Tallahassee.

Date: 04/06/20 04:53
Author: ctillnc

Recent commentary at https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,4930674,page=1

I would think FG&A runs no farther west than Flomaton, at most. I thought CSX retained Flomaton-Goulding Yard. 

Date: 04/06/20 14:19
Author: Soo715

You are right, momentary space out. I don't think they run west of Pensacola at all. And it sounds like they hardly run anything between Pensacola and Tallahassee. Really sad to see.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0394 seconds