Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Railfanning Quantico/Widewater/Arkendale VA

Date: 04/06/20 06:28
Railfanning Quantico/Widewater/Arkendale VA
Author: rustyr0824

To those that live in Northern VA along the RF&P.
I was wondering if anyone has been able to get onto Quantico base recently.
i tried to go there and was denied access. Not sure if because of covad or simply due to new security measures.
I'm not a DoD employee or anything like that, so it could simply mean that no visitors are allowed to reach the Quantico Amtrak/VRE station ever again.
I'm trying to email the base to find out what the scoop is.  But I wasn't sure if there was any base personnal here that are also railfans or Amtrak/VRE riders.
For those of you that don't know, you have to pass through Quantico Base before you reach the actual town of Quantico.  The station sits inside the town.

Also has anyone railfanned in the Widewater/Arkendale area recently.
There are no public parking spaces in that area so you basically you have to park off to the side of the road.
I was wondreing if anyone has had any issues recently there or if they have been able to railfan without getting asked "What are you doing".

Thanks
Rusty
Stafford VA

Date: 04/06/20 07:32
Re: Railfanning Quantico/Widewater/Arkendale VA
Author: MPCA349

Unless you have approved business within the town, or are a current or former DOD / Military member with credentials (DBIDS)  you're not allowed into Quantico.  That's a military base rule and has been for quite some time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/20 07:37 by MPCA349.

Date: 04/06/20 07:36
Author: engineerinvirginia

https://www.quantico.marines.mil/Base-Access/

Check this link.....looks complicated, but I think you have to make particular arrangements to get in. 

Date: 04/06/20 07:43
Author: Lackawanna484

engineerinvirginia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.quantico.marines.mil/Base-Access/
>
> Check this link.....looks complicated, but I think
> you have to make particular arrangements to get
> in. 

Thanks for that link.

The section at the lower right corner is for residents of "Q-town" the civilian island within the base where the station is located.  In the old days, you told the guard at the gate you were going to Q-town, and showed a license. You drove through residential areas, a golf course, past fenced areas, and to the station / town.

Particularly sensitive areas like the laboratories, Presidential helicopter fleet, training facilities, etc had their own fences and gates.

Date: 04/06/20 09:41

Exactly.
Maybe it's been years since I tried.
But I guess Q-town is not forever off limits to the general population, sad

Date: 04/06/20 09:59

If you took the train there, and stayed at the station, perhaps that would work.

Or your camera would invite a visit from the military police.

There are better places to Railfan in the area

Posted from Android

Date: 04/06/20 10:17

Agree to all.
Thanks

Date: 04/06/20 11:41
Author: Passfanatic

Quantico may be a challenge, security wise. I have heard stories about people getting booted from there just for taking pictures of trains. There are plenty of nice spots along the RF&P for railfanning. If you are willing to travel closer to DC, check out Alexandria Station. It's a very railfan friendly depot and the lighting is great there a lot of the day. One main advantage of Alexandria is that you get the VRE trains running to both Spotsylvania and Broad Run Airport Stations as well as more Amtrak trains(the Palmetto, Silver Service, Carolinian, and all of the NE Regionals that head into Virginia(this includes the NE Regional train that heads to Roanoke). You get the thrice times a week Cardinal. CSX doesn't run many trains during the commuter rush hours. If you want to photograph the Auto Train, you have to go Lorton or anywhere south of there. It only goes as far north as Lorton. I have never railfanned trains crossing any of the river bridges on the RF&P but I have seen pictures of trains on those bridges. Others can comment on them.

Date: 04/06/20 12:40

OK thank you for your comments.
I'm down this a way in Stafford. It's super rare for me to drive that far north.
One place I want to check out is the new Potomac Shores development in Dumfries.
For now I guess it will be Brooke station and somewhere along the road in Widewater

Date: 04/06/20 13:25
Author: rkap10

Suggest you check google maps for access to the bridges. Here is a summary:

Occoquan is open on both sides with best light on the south side.

Neabsco is best in the afternoon. There is a marina there so you need to ask in the office if you want to go on the docks. I have not found it to be a problem but I have not been there for awhile.

Powell's Creek is a morning shot with angles from Leetsylvania State Park. Note: there be a modest entry fee.

Quantico Creek is on the base. However, northbounds may be shot from Possum Point Road which comes of US 1. Haven't been there for awhile either so I don't know what the foliage is like.

Acquia Creek is best in the afternoon. Here too there is a marina on the west side of the bridge so it is best to ask permission before taking photos.

Hope this helps. Bob Kaplan

Date: 04/06/20 14:01

Thanks for the suggestions Bob.
I hope you are well.
It's Rusty from the model railroad club in Silver Spring MD from the 90's.
I'm pretty sure we met at some point along the way
:-)

Date: 04/07/20 13:05
Author: sums007

rustyr0824 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> OK thank you for your comments.
> I'm down this a way in Stafford. It's super rare
> for me to drive that far north.
> One place I want to check out is the new Potomac
> Shores development in Dumfries.
> For now I guess it will be Brooke station and
> somewhere along the road in Widewater

As part of the third main track project, it seems that VRE is building a station at Potomac Shores, according to their website.
>  

Date: 04/07/20 13:18

Yup.
I just have to give everything time. Could be 5 to 10 more years if not longer

Date: 04/07/20 14:00

Is Potomac Shores the developer sponsored train station?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/07/20 14:35

Yeah I suspect it's a joint partnership between the Potomac Shores development and VRE.
But I have no idea about funding.
It's basically going to be their town center that will also include the station
Should be cool once it's up and running esp since the tracks are like 80 feet below the station

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0852 seconds