Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Conrail & coal - perfect together!

Date: 04/06/20 16:51
Conrail & coal - perfect together!
Author: reel_smooth

Let me try this again, with the pictures in the proper order!
After being at JBS in Altoona for a month, the Conrail H/U finally found it's way back out on the road yesterday morning, going west first to South Fork with the 7660 as light power with the symbol of 650. The 8098 only had, apparently, about 1000 to 1200 gallons of fuel when it left Altoona and about 800-850 by the time it got back to Cresson. Picture one is the power backing down onto the train after a failed attempt to get fuel at the engine house in Cresson, a story all it's own that I won't go into here. Picture two is a very familiar sight, passing the old AR tower as it starts down 'the slide'. Picture three is approaching MP240.5, with what I think is the 22W going around it on track 2.

Date: 04/06/20 17:13
Re: Conrail & coal - perfect together!
Author: VFPNSFAN

Nice catch, love #2

Date: 04/06/20 20:01
Author: Kemacprr

Boy is AR looking bad. Won't last long in that condition. ---  Ken 

Date: 04/06/20 22:10
Author: Dixon

I notice in photo (2) new west bound signals with a fresh gravel footings. I do not remember a signal there from looking off of the bridge. I know that in very rare occassions that a west bound train will come up the slide. 
Does anybody have any inside ton my observations?  Maybe something has changed, or will be changing?

Date: 04/07/20 03:11
Author: reel_smooth

Dixon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I notice in photo (2) new west bound signals with
> a fresh gravel footings. I do not remember a
> signal there from looking off of the bridge. I
> know that in very rare occassions that a west
> bound train will come up the slide. 
> Does anybody have any inside ton my
> observations?  Maybe something has changed, or
> will be changing?

Believe it is all part of PTC now. All the old PRR wayside signals/signal bridges on the Pittsburgh line are gone and new signals are only at the control points, with all tracks being bi-directional. It is the new 'normal', such as that is. We have seen on many occassions both helpers & full trains now make the trip west on track 1 from Altoona.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds