Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Your next train watching trip?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/07/20 14:51
Your next train watching trip?
Author: Lackawanna484

I've been thinking about a trip, once the current situation passes.

Maybe South Florida to the Panhandle, to Mobile, up to Jackson, over to the Delta, Memphis, and over to the Crystal Bridges museum. Some Route 66 miles back to St Louis. Maybe fly home.

Short lines, loggers, industrials, good food, friendly people.

What's on your travel plans?

Posted from Android

Date: 04/07/20 15:23
Re: Your next train watching trip?
Author: icancmp193

Already canceled a (non-railfan) Arizona trip. Was headed to the lower Oregon Coast in May. Not looking good.
Still have a Michigan trip on the books for late August. Chance to see some "Thumb" regionals and then spending some time in the U.P.

TJY

Date: 04/07/20 16:17
Author: Molino

Switzerland if all goes well!

Date: 04/07/20 18:13
Author: dschlegel

My brother, dad, and I had a trip planned to Cass in early June, we’ve put it off to mid September as of now.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/07/20 18:27
Author: MPCA349

Vegas / Transcon, Cajon / Transcon, New England are upcoming destinations at some point.

Date: 04/07/20 18:38
Author: MdRailfan

Still planning on Fostoria, Ohio for Memorial Day weekend. Watching it closely. Then Cresson, Pa for the week of my birthday as usual in August, followed by an Amtrak ride to Florida for Labor Day week. This one was moved from Easter week. Other then that, just some day trips to the NEC and some Philly Sub. for CSX.

Date: 04/07/20 19:05
Author: ironmtn

With LOTS of luck (and hopefully, a vaccine), maybe a long planned trip to eastern Europe that was planned for this time right now, and cancelled due to the outbreak. At this time, I give it an extremely small chance of happening this year, or even next year. I think I will feel lucky if I can feel safe enough to go to Elkhart, Indiana or Fostoria, Ohio or another nearby Midwestern trainwatching hot spot for a day. Sad but true.

In any case, it's utterly inconsequential compared to the medical and economic suffering that has been visited upon our nation and the world by this evil.

MC
Muskegon, Michigan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/20 19:08 by ironmtn.

Date: 04/07/20 20:11
Author: engrbob

Italy in August. Ahh, I don’t know.

Canceled a trip to the roundhouse in Sugarcreek in May. Boo!

Date: 04/08/20 04:33
Author: algoma11

Wise to put stuff off till at least late july. Its getting ugly everywhere.
You sneeze and get a runny nose you don't know if it;'s allergies or you have six days to live.

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 04/08/20 04:41
Author: howeld

I just started a post on the western board. I want to do a family (of 5) trip to Montana with visits to Yellowstone and Glacier in late July. This would require a flight to Bozeman or SLC due to time constraints. Prices are acceptable and thinking about booking flights and car. The rest can wait.

If not then I guess just my Son and I will drive or fly out to Raton or something in the Midwest.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/08/20 10:18
Author: Gonut1

A 20 mile trip to work where I can watch comutter trains instead of NS mainline trains at home!
Go

Date: 04/08/20 10:35
Author: 1984woodings

Taking a drive through the Feather river canyon this weekend. Watching trains from the front seat of my car.  Mitch

Date: 04/08/20 11:01
Author: inyosub

I was considering driving cross country to eastern Canada, taking a different route in each direction. Maybe hitting
Green Bay, the U. P. of Michigan and on to Algoma and up to Montreal.  My goal being the French island off
of Saint John's (not St. John) called Saint Pierre .(that part not for trains) Then maybe down thru New England
to  Harrisburg and on down hitting some of the VR cam locations like La Grange, Deshler etc  Elkhart etc. Would
also like to explore Toledo. Terrified of Detroit, but maybe some of the outlying areas would be fun. Cut across
Oklahoma and all it has to offer into Santa Fe New Mexico for some of their fine food and then roll the trans-con
back home. You know how when you start getting close, you get antsy.  But now, who the heck knows. I'm so high
risk that Travel is out....Can still drive to Tehachapi or the Desert tho . . .
I should add, since this is the Eastern Rail. Disc. side, that I'd be coming and returing to California.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/20 13:07 by inyosub.

Date: 04/08/20 12:15
Author: SOUCF25

I was planning to go to Northwest Ohio in late May.  For several reasons, I've changed the destination to Waycross, Chattanooga or Birmingham.  The trip will likely be in early November.

Neil
Winston-Salem, NC

Date: 04/08/20 13:51
Author: toledopatch

Right now I can only grasp a couple of can't-do-them-later opportunities that I've missed because our leadership let this thing get a two-month jump on us. I won't have any thoughts about what I might do afterward until it's resolved.

Date: 04/08/20 15:00
Author: B-LineRailfan

Hard to say exactly when, but I'm looking forward to the ex-C&O 1309 running out of Cumberland.

Date: 04/08/20 19:06
Author: Nomad

toledopatch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Right now I can only grasp a couple of
> can't-do-them-later opportunities that I've missed
> because our leadership let this thing get a
> two-month jump on us.

You're talking about the leadership that couldn't think of any better ideas than to call the President a racist for putting travel restrictions on people coming here from Wuhan, right?

Date: 04/09/20 04:48
Author: march_hare

Well, my wife and I lost out on an eastbound Canadian train-riding trip due to the First Nations dispute just before Corona hit.  (We were actually in an emergency room in Seattle getting her leg splinted up, with coughing people around us, in mid-February.  So we're a bit cautious now...) 

I had told myself that I would take a 5 day ride Albany-Montreal-Toronto-Albany by myself as a consolation prize.  Put in a few hours trainwatching at Dorval, and maybe one of the Lakeshore GO stations if the weather was good.

Obviously, that trip ain't happening for a while.  But I'd still like to do it.  As much trainriding as I've done, its amazing that I've never ridden the busiest passenger route in Canada, just a couple hundred miles away.

Date: 04/09/20 16:21
Author: ns1000

I'm not sure when I will be railfanning again or where.

Obviously, it won't be until conditions improve and quite frankly, I've been working so much (I'm "essential" or "expendable"??!!), I haven't thought much about it. Maybe back to West Slope, Pa...

Posted from Android

Date: 04/09/20 16:34
Author: JimBaker

Do some watching on Virtual Railfan Net webcams.
They have sites all over the country.

James R.(Jim) Baker
Whittier, CA

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds