Home Open Account Help 407 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tombstone Tuesday?

Date: 04/07/20 16:39
Tombstone Tuesday?
Author: 99stang

Had to post this, perhaps set off a new trend.  My brother sent me this today, a headstone in the Riverview Cemetery in Groveland, Mass, about 20-30 miles outside of Boston. 
Don't ask me what he was doing there, but social distancing certainly was in play....

Enjoy- he said?

Bob

Date: 04/07/20 17:12
Re: Tombstone Tuesday?
Author: mkancle

That's a really unique grave stone.

Matt

Date: 04/07/20 17:25

Was almost expecting the RR name, train #, and type of locomotive engraved as well.

B

Date: 04/07/20 17:56
Author: mrsaxtonsr

So, who was the engineer ?

Date: 04/08/20 04:38
Author: algoma11

WOW elaborate ! Should have started " once upon a time "

Mike Bannon
St Catharines, ON

Date: 04/09/20 06:01

Any history detectives looking to research this accident that killed poor Moses?  

Date: 04/09/20 06:25

So, after posting the question, I did a quick search, and immediately hit this note from the Annual Report of the Board of Railroad Commissioners -1877
January 15, 1876 - Moses Adams and grandson, in attempting to cross (Boston & Maine) tracks at Jewett's crossing, near Groveland station, were struck by a passenger train. Moses Adams died a short time after the accident, and his grandson was injured badly but has recovered. 

Amazing amount of history avaiable at our fingertips !

Be safe all!!

Bob

Date: 04/09/20 07:07
Author: AmHog

That tombstone is in amazing shape for its age

Date: 04/09/20 09:49

Hearty New Englanders!

Date: 04/24/20 18:58
Author: cn6218

Speaking of New Englanders, here's one I found in the cemetery at Brownville Jct., Maine.  Odd that there is no date on it (unless I forgot to check the other side).  The flowers would seem to indicate that it's not just somebody planning ahead.

GTD

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0524 seconds