Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > CN L539 without an SD60 leading for once!

Date: 04/07/20 18:20
CN L539 without an SD60 leading for once!
Author: retlaw121

With classes at Michigan Tech all online now due to you-know-what, I'm finding myself with Tuesdays wide open all of the sudden. So what do you do on Tuesdays in Houghton, MI with nothing else to do? Highball it down to L'Anse and catch CN L539 on their way out of town.

With US-41 effectively deserted, I was able to get some shots off the side of the road last Tuesday that I would have otherwise considered dangerous. I was also pleased that something other than an SD60 with a fouled horn was leading the train. This time it was a Dash 9 with a perfectly tuned K3LA echoing in the melting hills. You used to a nice mix of old GE and EMD 6-axles on this train all the time, but a pair of SD60s had been on the train pretty much all winter long. Of course, this day the second unit was a 60, but we finally got some variety!

The highlight came at the end of the chase, when a mom and her two young kids stopped to watch the train go by in Champion. I'm sure it made both theirs and the crews day.

Video: Almost street-running in Champion, MI with a very happy crew.

Just east of Three Lakes along US-41

Michigamme

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 04/07/20 18:24
Re: CN L539 without an SD60 leading for once!

Three Lakes, MI

Entering Michigamme, MI

Leaving L'Anse, MI. The little work train would be used over the next three days to replace rails and ties along the line near Herman, MI

Date: 04/08/20 07:17
Author: inCHI

Neat images and video. Seeing two six-axles with just two cars on that rickety track is pretty wild.

Date: 04/08/20 16:52
Author: BarstowRiff

Is this former Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic track?

Date: 04/09/20 10:17

BarstowRiff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this former Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic
> track?

Yup. Then WC before CN.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0579 seconds