Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Where NS's Lehigh Line crosses over the Raritan River

Date: 05/16/20 14:17
Where NS's Lehigh Line crosses over the Raritan River
Author: Pattenburg

Neshanic Station (NJ) has been one of my favorite locations to do photography for the challenges it has. One has to pre-visualize the scene before the train actually crosses over the bridge. Eastbound trains will be seen through the trees as the approach the bridge but for westbound trains there is a tendency to sneak up on a photographer who isn't listening for the sound of an approaching train. Then there are the 'add-ins', namely the fisherman and boaters which add a little something to the scene. The first image is of NS 66Z with NS 4147 and NS's Illinois Terminal heritage unit 1072 crossing the Raritan River in Neshanic Station. Those canoeists have a pretty good view to watch this train as they drift down river. Holding at CP SULLY (LEHL MP 40) was NS H76 waiting for the 66Z to pass. Seen here is H76 heading west with NS 5620 (GP38-2; ex-SOU 2871) and NS 3476 (SD40-2; ex-BN 7236, ex-FURX 7236)  as its power consist. 

Date: 05/16/20 17:25
Re: Where NS's Lehigh Line crosses over the Raritan River
Author: edm

Where did you park?  Last time I was there it was all "roped" off and No Parking signs everywhere.

Date: 05/16/20 18:55
Author: bobk

Great shots!

Date: 05/17/20 04:27
Author: Pattenburg

edm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where did you park?  Last time I was there it was
> all "roped" off and No Parking signs everywhere.

After you cross over the white bridge going into the town of Neshanic, there is a small parking area that was open. This parking area is located where the flea market vendors used to set up their tables if you are familiar with that.

Date: 05/17/20 15:16
Author: CR900945

I second those thoughts.  Great pictures from a town where I attended first grade in the 53-54 school year.  Even at that time, it was rare to see many LV trains during the day.  To be specific, that is the South Branch of the Raritan River.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0287 seconds