Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some Aberdeen Carolina & Western

Date: 06/28/20 17:46
Some Aberdeen Carolina & Western
Author: srman

Back on Friday June 12th I found myself in south central North Carolina on the AC&W. Primarily I was between Candor and their interchange with CSX at Aberdeen.
I caught a westbound train coming into Perdue Farms near Candor. After talking to their conductor the plan was to switch a few cars and then head back to Aberdeen.
It sounded like a plan to me. I was just glad to have subject matter. First two images are them arriving west at Perdue Farms with the third heading east for Aberdeen at West End N.C. I'll follow with three more.  

Date: 06/28/20 17:49
Re: Some Aberdeen Carolina & Western

Next two are at Pinehurst. There's a nice grade there and it pretty much cuts through a golf course. Last image at it arrives at Aberdeen with CSX. Thanks for looking.

Date: 06/28/20 18:54
Author: BobE

They have a fantabulous paint scheme.

BobE

Date: 06/28/20 21:19
Author: krm152

An excellent series.  Things have really changed since 1972-1976 when I lived in NC.
ALLEN

Date: 06/28/20 23:36
Author: nsrlink

Nice pictures; classy paint scheme.  Too bad for the crews they haven't added air conditioning to them for the hot humid carolina summers.

Date: 06/29/20 06:46
Author: SP8595

Grest series!

Date: 06/29/20 20:00
Author: coach

That is one of the most attractive paint schemems I've seen for ANY railroad lately.  Really, really nice lines and color choices!

Their track looks very good--is it leased from a Class 1, or do they own it?  What is the Class 1 history of this line (in brief)?

Date: 06/29/20 20:27

From what I understand they own their railroad and its former original Norfork Southern.

Date: 06/30/20 04:28
Author: ctillnc

It's all ex-original NS. They own Aberdeen-Star and they lease Charlotte-Star-Gulf. Most of Star-Gulf is out of service. In general, track quality Charlotte-Gulf is much lower than the Aberdeen end. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/20 04:30 by ctillnc.

Date: 06/30/20 06:43
Author: scraphauler

Aberdeen to Candor is all new welded rail installed over past year or two and overall line is in very good condition.  Line hosts year round unit grain trains off CSXT at Aberdeeb to the two chicken feed lots at Candor, each location seems to recieve a train or two a week, plus get blocks of cars in off the manifest train.  Beleive their manifest traffic to Aberdeen is 3 times a week, so they end up running to Aberdeen almost daily.  I was in Pinehurst 3-4 weeks ago and they ran a loaded grain train from Aderdeen with CSXT power mid day Sunda (grab shot of it sitting on interchange track in Aberdeen).  Saw the manifest sitting in Candor ready to head to Aberdeen around 900 Monday morning,  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/20 06:44 by scraphauler.

Date: 07/01/20 12:29
Author: vjb4877

Besides a great great color scheme they take the title of friendliest railroad around in the tradition of Erie Lackawanna and Apalachicola Northern (Port St Joe Route)!!!!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0635 seconds