Home Open Account Help 351 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Sixty mile chase with the IT heritage unit

Date: 07/27/20 20:04
Sixty mile chase with the IT heritage unit
Author: srman

Tagged along with southbound NS grain train 50A on Sunday with the Illinois Terminal heritage unit leading. I met up with the train just north of Danville Ky. and followed him to Burnside Ky. or about sixty miles. Attached are three images of 50A near SJ just north of Danville, climbing Kings Mtn. and finally at Science Hill Kentucky. Thanks for looking.

Date: 07/28/20 03:57
Re: Sixty mile chase with the IT heritage unit
Author: NSSpike

A great chase Joe!!  Congrats on the IOTD!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 07/28/20 06:16
Author: SP8595

Neat series, neat looking train!

Date: 07/28/20 11:13
Author: PasadenaSub

Great catch and photos, Congrats on IOTD!

Rich

Date: 07/28/20 11:34
Author: 3rdswitch

Real nice trio.
JB

Date: 07/28/20 12:10
Author: ns1000

Pic 2 is my favorite!!

Date: 07/28/20 12:39
Author: cr7998

Great shots.  It's amazing how much that Kings Mountain shot has grown in over the years.  It used to be much more open.  Now one can barely see where the old tunnel was on the left.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/20 12:40 by cr7998.

Date: 07/28/20 14:33
Author: Goalieman

Nice series of photos. Thanks for sharing and congrats on winning IOTD!! It’s very well deserved.

I attempted a similar chase a little over a year ago. My goal was to chase an NS freight from East Wayne Yard in New Haven, Indiana to Continental, Ohio. After snapping a pic leaving the yard and again at a grade crossing on the south end of town, the train was put into Dawkins Siding to wait for a westbound. I headed down the road and crossed the tracks to see if the westbound was near. Having seen the headlight in the distance, I decided to return to a crossing near the stopped freight to watch. As I turned on the road ahead of the stopped train the engineer hammered two short blasts on the horn. At that point I noticed that a county sheriff was speaking with another member of the crew at the next crossing. A couple of minutes later, that same sheriff slid in behind my car, approached and began asking me questions. Having seen me at the yard, at a crossing leaving town and again alongside the mainline made the crew nervous and they called the authorities. Despite explaining myself to the officer, he asked me to leave the area. While I was somewhat frustrated, I complied and went home. Needless to say, I haven’t attempted another “chase” since.

Mark V.
The Fort in Indiana

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/28/20 14:52
Author: Darthsimpletext

What did you do that scared the train crew? did you burn rubber? Act very speed demonish? I never drove in my life, if i did it would likey have had a result like this due to being impulsive. You were just too hard pressed to be everywhere at once. A naughty action of some kind attracted the police and that's why you got in trouble.

nick

Date: 07/28/20 17:33
Author: TheNavigator

Very nice group!
GK

Date: 07/29/20 09:50
Author: SD45X

Excellent!

Date: 07/31/20 17:08
Author: Goalieman

Darthsimpletext Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What did you do that scared the train crew? did
> you burn rubber? Act very speed demonish? I never
> drove in my life, if i did it would likey have had
> a result like this due to being impulsive. You
> were just too hard pressed to be everywhere at
> once. A naughty action of some kind attracted the
> police and that's why you got in trouble.
>
> nick

I did none of the things you purposed. Having captured a pic of the train in the yard, I proceeded to a crossing on the south side of town. Freight trains don’t do 0-60 mph very fast. After the freight crossed, I moved on as described. I NEVER violated any law.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0442 seconds