Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Wind Screens for Mics?

Date: 08/01/20 20:36
Wind Screens for Mics?
Author: wabash2800

I see some great videos on Trainorders and I know not everyone can go out and buy the most professional equipment, but have any of you folks tried anything to cut out the wind sound in your videos?  How about wind screens? Are there some made for the consumer grade or semi-profesional cameras? How about putting a band-aid on your mic? I'm not being critical, but just think that with some of these amazing (and often historic down the road) videos, that this would be something to shoot for (no pun intended). Is there any editing software out there outside of the professional studios that would fix this?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/20 20:36 by wabash2800.

Date: 08/01/20 22:33
Re: Wind Screens for Mics?
Author: RFandPFan

I use a Canon shotgum microphone that comes with a "dead cat" wind screen for windy days.

Date: 08/02/20 00:16
Author: pdt

A wind screen cant stop any wind from making noise.  Probably at about 15-20mph, and mic facing into or across the wind is going to have some noise.
I think the best thing u can do if have a pair of earbuds or headphones to monitor your sound.  If all you hear is wind noise, then find a way to shield the mic, or a different direction relative to the wind might help.

Also be aware that the wind propagates sound waves.   Your best sound will be when u are downwind of the engines/train.,,  I hate watching a great video of 1st generation power, but there's virtually no sound of the engines, cause wind is blowing the sound away from the microphone.

Also, while we are talking about video....
When u are standing by the tracks, listening to the train coming from off in the distance, and then seeing the headlight off in the distance, and the anticipstion ....is pretty neat.  BUT IT DOESNT TRANSLATE ON TO VIDEO.   Its just dead time that we have to scroll thru.  15 seconds from when the video starts, till when the head end of the train passes you, is plenty.  Ive seen some 3 minute videos where the 1st minute and a half was  waiting for the train to get there. 

Date: 08/02/20 02:15
Author: NSyorktown

This is an easy answer . . . you live very close to Sweatwater Sound, among the largest AV / Digital Media outlets in the nation. 
Contact their experts on-line or head over to 5501 U.S. Highway #30 W  Fort Wayne, IN 46818
https://www.sweetwater.com/

Date: 08/02/20 05:40
Author: junctiontower

wabash2800 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I see some great videos on Trainorders and I know
> not everyone can go out and buy the most
> professional equipment, but have any of you folks
> tried anything to cut out the wind sound in your
> videos?  How about wind screens? Are there some
> made for the consumer grade or semi-profesional
> cameras? How about putting a band-aid on your mic?
> I'm not being critical, but just think that with
> some of these amazing (and often historic down the
> road) videos, that this would be something to
> shoot for (no pun intended). Is there any editing
> software out there outside of the professional
> studios that would fix this?
>
> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Victor, I agree 100% with what you are saying.  I don't shoot a LOT of train video, but some of what I have done has SO MUCH wind noise, I can't stand to watch the video without basically turning the sound off. Some of it was taken off the road bridge over Clearing Yard and over on top of "Mount Dolton" on an otherwise beautifully day when a cold front was bringing in winds topping 40MPH at times. 

Date: 08/02/20 07:29
Author: Rmosele

pdt Wrote:

>
> Also, while we are talking about video....
> When u are standing by the tracks, listening to
> the train coming from off in the distance, and
> then seeing the headlight off in the distance, and
> the anticipstion ....is pretty neat.  BUT IT
> DOESNT TRANSLATE ON TO VIDEO.   Its just dead
> time that we have to scroll thru.  15 seconds
> from when the video starts, till when the head end
> of the train passes you, is plenty.  Ive seen
> some 3 minute videos where the 1st minute and a
> half was  waiting for the train to get there. 

Thank you for that. Your caps are appropriate for the comment. There is free editing software available to allow the user to cut the first 90 seconds of the typical 3 minute videos you mention. Dead video is not interesting to watch, unless you love to watch heat waves rising off the tracks. But even that is interesting for about 10 seconds only.

Date: 08/02/20 07:39
Author: goneon66

RFandPFan Wrote:
> I use a Canon shotgum microphone that comes with a
> "dead cat" wind screen for windy days.

i use the cannon DM-100 "directional stereo mic" that came with a fur like cover during wind for my cannon vixia HF-G40.

i am very pleased with it...........

Date: 08/02/20 11:36
Author: wabash2800

Good answer, but I didn't want to sound like I'm promoting my employer. <G> But seriously, not only is it a great place to work, but we have customer support and technical expertise that is just fantastic. Our business continues to grow leaps and bounds because of this. Yes, you might be able to find some things we sell on Amazon or other outlets and get discounts, but we are proving folks are willing to pay for support. We have great sales too. This was not the reason for my post, but since you brought it up...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

NSyorktown Wrote:
> This is an easy answer . . . you live very close
> to Sweatwater Sound, among the largest AV /
> Digital Media outlets in the nation. 
> Contact their experts on-line or head over to 5501
> U.S. Highway #30 W  Fort Wayne, IN 46818
> https://www.sweetwater.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 04:20 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0853 seconds