Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Tropical Storm Isaias damage to the Reading Line

Date: 08/06/20 06:04
Tropical Storm Isaias damage to the Reading Line
Author: dschlegel

Tuesday was a crazy day in Topton, PA with incredible wind and rain from tropical storm Isaias. No trains ran across the Reading Line that I heard until yesterday afternoon. 

I wanted to share two images and a video.

The first image shows the Reading Line looking west from the Haas St Crossing in Topton. The Toad Creek is a tiny stream that is actually under the tree branches to the left of Main 2.

The second image was taken last night from the same location. Note the significant erosion.

The video shows the Toad Creek hitting the roadbed along Main 2. This view was taken in the parking lot of Tony's restaurant, which is neat the Home Ave crossing. This was about an hour after the heaviest rain had ended, and shortly after the creek receded from its peak (which did push over the rail on Main 2 based on debris I saw).

Dan

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/06/20 07:33
Re: Tropical Storm Isaias damage to the Reading Line
Author: ClubCar

Wow, like many other places, that was a lot of water in a short period of time.  What will help the railroad is to put more heavy rocks and possibly even a cement retainer wall where the water comes against that roadbed.  Yes, I know this costs money, but in the long run, they need to be safe and it can be much  more costly if the line gets washed out.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0353 seconds