Home Open Account Help 218 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A Quick visit to Porter & Chesterton

Date: 08/09/20 22:59
A Quick visit to Porter & Chesterton
Author: WrongMain

We managed to get out Friday and headed to Porter Jct and Chesterton, IN for a 90 minute visit to Norfolk Southern's busy Chicago Line.  For the short time that we were there, we saw eight trains.  I won't bore you with all eight, since most of the action was powered by black NS GE's, not exactly a paint scheme that gets my heart beat increased, but what we did see was worthwhile.  So, sit down and relax a little bit.

First up was D09, the local based out of Burns Harbor.  He's on his way back home to get another load of steel coils to take east.  We see him passing the neat restored caboose and a boxcar painted for the Monon that now serves as a restroom.

We heard CSX Q326 call a red at CP 482, so we headed over to the former Pere Marquette tracks to catch him.  He got held up for an Amtrak Michigan service train that passed close by while we waited.  That Charger we see was actually the trail unit.

Q326 then made his appearance as he rolled through the high grass and headed up to New Buffalo to meet his counterpart, Q327, who would show up about 45 minutes later.

Date: 08/09/20 23:03
Re: A Quick visit to Porter & Chesterton
Author: WrongMain

We then went back to our spot in Chesterton and caught westbound stacker #244 behind a NS EMD.

A one unit wonder, behind a BNSF GE passed both us and 244 at a high rate of speed with a nice sized train of empty auto racks.

Shortly behind the auto rack train was another NS stack train with another black EMD leading.  I managed not to catch the symbols on either of the last two trains.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds