Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > City Park Train Hub, Hagerstown,MD.

Date: 08/10/20 04:51
City Park Train Hub, Hagerstown,MD.
Author: bigsavage

Located in a corner of the largest municipal park in Hagerstown, the "Train Hub" has received an infusion of funds and the attention of a curator over the last 2 years.
Many improvements have been made and more are planned, including a cosmetic refurb of WMRY 4-6-2 #202 and a better all-weather enclosure.
This engine is the only WMRY road steamer to be preserved, and has been in the park since 1953.
There are also 4 x-WMRY cabooses, 2 others from other RRs, and about 75% of the exhibits are related to the Western Maryland Railway, who was the largest RR employer in Hagerstown.

Date: 08/10/20 04:58
Re: City Park Train Hub, Hagerstown,MD.

I visited here on 8/8/2020, and was greeted by Dakota, a college intern who was very enthusiastic.
The replica station building houses exhibits, a small gift shop, and 1 of 2 x-N&W rail speeders.
WMRY Caboose #1885 has an almost-intact interior from its working days
The NS (X-N&W) main line borders 1 side of the complex and should be given some sort of train-watching platform.
WW Jenkins photos

Date: 08/10/20 05:02

WMRY 202 is in somewhat ragged condition, but the engine is still impressive.

Date: 08/10/20 05:08

I hope that this museum can continue to get the financial and logistical support so it can thrive.
When I departed, several families with young children were entering, a positive sign.

Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum is about 1 mile away, it has model RR's, an exhibit room, and a modest collection of prototype equipment, including a WMRY Baldwin diesel.
However it has not reopened this year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/20 05:09 by bigsavage.

Date: 08/10/20 05:57
Author: ClubCar

There have been various discussions through the years beginning back in the late 1960's about a restoration of this Western Maryland pacific; however to no avail.  I have been told by several experienced steam personnel that the engine would be extremely costly to ever restore requiring a complete rebuilding from the wheels to the sand dome.  It was deemed too expensive for anyone to spend their money on it.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 08/10/20 06:02
Author: train544

Hi
Noow that is great part of history preserved
Very nice series of pictures
Tom Boylan

Date: 08/10/20 07:04
Author: ns7500

I will say this Western Maryland 202 is runable bc I helped with the painting and preserving of it awhile back it had its boiler tested also which is in good condition most of the stuff in the museum is stuff that was use to work on 202 and other stuff from the old round house in hagerstown that was torn down not to mention its not allowed to leave the city of hagerstown bc the locomotive is owned by the children of hagerstown

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/20 07:12 by ns7500.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0512 seconds