Home Open Account Help 309 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > IHB on Wolf Lake

Date: 08/10/20 11:03
IHB on Wolf Lake
Author: filmteknik

Does Indiana Harbor Belt still run over Wolf Lake and if so, when would be the best time to see a train on that line?

Date: 08/10/20 19:25
Re: IHB on Wolf Lake
Author: calumet

filmteknik Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does Indiana Harbor Belt still run over Wolf Lake
> and if so, when would be the best time to see a
> train on that line?

The last I heard--and it was some time ago--the Harbor still sends a train several times a week.  Unfortunately, they almost always run at night.

Date: 08/11/20 05:56
Author: colehour

I lived near Wolf Lake in the Robertsdale section of Hammond (generally referred to as "Whiting," although not legally part of that neighboring city). The IHB trains served the Cargill plant (formerly Amaizo and later Cerestar). I used to hear Cargill's switcher with its distinctive single-chime horn quite often during daylight hours.  You can see it from across the "channel" on the road that goes around Forsyth Park. I have a photo of it somewhere.

This information may be out of date, since I moved from the area in late 2017. 

Date: 08/11/20 13:54

I could not find the photo, but the switcher in question is RSSX 1503. There are some photos and videos on YouTube. The switcher is an ex-GTW SW 1200 with a Buell single-chime horn, which is quite distinctive. 

Date: 08/14/20 17:20

Thanks.  Does this line have a name?  I'm trying to figure out if I can see it on ATCS Monitor.

Date: 08/14/20 19:26

filmteknik Wrote:
> Thanks.  Does this line have a name?  I'm trying
> to figure out if I can see it on ATCS Monitor.

The Sheddfield Industrial Track.....also known as the Roby Line in old timetables.

Date: 08/15/20 06:24

Thanks.  Just to follow up, the ATCS Monitor folks say it's not signalled and does not appear on their layout.

Date: 08/15/20 07:39

calumet Wrote:
> filmteknik Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks.  Does this line have a name?  I'm
> trying
> > to figure out if I can see it on ATCS Monitor.
>
> The Sheddfield Industrial Track.....also known as
> the Roby Line in old timetables.

Perhaps you meant "Sheffield?"

There was also an IHB line that paralleled Sheffield Avenue in Hammond, crossing it at the intersection of that street and Calumet Avenue, and heading into the city of Whiting. It would seem that this line would be a more likely candidate for the name, but that is really only more of a question in my mind. I am certainly no authority in this area.

The Cargill plant (formerly Amaizo) is located in the Roby section of Hammond. There was once a small residential neighborhood there and  Roby had its own tiny post office, reportedly the smallest in the United States. It was located on Indianapolis Blvd and the tracks.

Date: 08/15/20 07:52

No, it's "Sheddfield." And yes, I believe it is dark territory.

Date: 08/16/20 08:14

calumet Wrote:
> No, it's "Sheddfield." And yes, I believe it is
> dark territory.

Thank you for the information. I did a little more digging online, and found the reference to the Wolf Lake/Sheddfield Branch. There was also a reference to a Shedd Estate, but I didn't find any more information on that. John G. Shedd was the protegé of Marshall Field and second president of the department store. I wonder if he might have owned property along Wolf Lake and was thus interested in the building of the rail line. I believe that there were also other industries along the line besides the Amaizo/Cargill plant. I do know that there was a fireworks factory, for example, that was across the lake from Hammond into the middle of the past century. 

This is one of those bits of history that I find so fascinating.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0482 seconds