Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > BR&W's 438 - Still earning its paycheck 68 years later!

Date: 09/12/20 11:15
BR&W's 438 - Still earning its paycheck 68 years later!
Author: Pattenburg

Black River & Western RR's 438 is about to cross Main Street in Flemington (NJ) on its way to Three Bridges with one car in tow. BR&W 438 was originally built as an EMD SW9 for the Erie RR back in 1952 and still retains its original number. That building in the background was the former CNJ station. April 25, 1953 was the date of the last run which marked the end of eighty-nine years of passenger service from Somerville to Flemington's CNJ station. Motive power for that run was camelback steam engine CNJ's 1555 with two passenger cars in its consist.It was reported that when 1555 arrived in Flemington, it sounded a long whistle as the "Friendly Train" was no more. It got that moniker since most of the people who were regular riders knew each other and the train crew. The second image was taken at the River Avenue grade crossing in Three Bridges.

Date: 09/12/20 11:38
Re: BR&W's 438 - Still earning its paycheck 68 years later!
Author: refarkas

Photo one is a very-well crafted scene.
Bob

Date: 09/12/20 12:48
Author: Pattenburg

refarkas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Photo one is a very-well crafted scene.
> Bob
Thanks! I have to say having some courteous drivers stop further back so their vehicle would not be protruding into the scene was something I appreciated when photographing that first scene.

Date: 09/12/20 18:54
Author: OCtrainguy

Always wanted to get a photo of a train passing the ex=CNJ station, but not sure when the BR&W would be running their freight ops for me to get that photo.  

You did well with your photo (and the weather was awesome today) and were fortunate you didn't have one of the impatient drivers right on top of the crossing. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0497 seconds