Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Farewell INRD 9025 (For Now)

Date: 09/14/20 15:41
Farewell INRD 9025 (For Now)
Author: retlaw121

A few weeks ago I set out on a pleasant evening to go catch the Sun-Fri northbound manifest HWSA on the Indiana Rail Road in Bloomington, IN. I underestimated how close it was (I knew when it passed through Bloomfield, which for the railroad is about an hour and a half from Bloomington) and I got stopped by it at 10th and the Bypass near the IU campus. I was very surprised to see a 3rd SD9043Mac, 9025, dead in tow behind 9013 and 9001, because there are no other trains in Indianapolis besides the next day's southbound that would use SD90s, and even with a mile or more of train, two 90s can usually handle it. Despite the hilly terrain, the ruling grade on the train's route is <1%. Since it was an interesting train, the weather was nice, and I had missed it on camera, I decided to race ahead to Lake Lemon. At the crossing on South Shore Dr (a favorite chasing stop for many) I caught them on camera gliding over the jointed rails.

9025 is the railroad's 25th anniversary unit. It turns out, this was the last time it would be on INRD tracks, for a while that is. It has been sent away for a rebuild. I'm not sure where it would be going or what it would be getting rebuilt too, but if I had to guess I would say it's headed Progress Rail in Muncie, and maybe going to be given the Mac-H treatment like the UP SD90s did. The INRD shop is pretty capable I would think, so whatever rebuild it's getting must be big. I also don't know if it will stay as 9025. The railroad is rapidly approaching it's 35th anniversary in 2021, so will 9025 come back as 9035? Who knows. 

Edit: It turns out it is at MEI getting overhaul work done, and is the first of 3 units per year to get this upgrade. Thanks, Mark, for the corrections.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 18:05 by retlaw121.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/14/20 17:32
Re: Farewell INRD 9025 (For Now)
Author: stlrailfan

alot of your info is incorrect , it is owned by CEFX /CIT and leased to MEI and the first of 3 INRD SD90's per year to be sent to Metro East Industries for overhaul and electrical work. As of Friday it was at MEI in the main shop.
 Mark

Date: 09/14/20 18:03

stlrailfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> alot of your info is incorrect , it is owned by
> CEFX /CIT and leased to MEI and the first of 3
> INRD SD90's per year to be sent to Metro East
> Industries for overhaul and electrical work. As of
> Friday it was at MEI in the main shop.
>  Mark
>                                
Ok, Thanks for the info. I had been told by several people (mostly other railfans) that it was INRD owned, but since you seem to know where it is, I believe you. I would like to ask though where you got your infomation if you can say, and if you have any more that you are allowed to share (you can send me a private message if you'd like). Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/14/20 18:05 by retlaw121.

Date: 09/14/20 19:10
Author: ExSPCondr

If that isn't a dangerous crossing, I don't know what one is!

Not only is the visibility in one direction less than a hundred feet due to vegetation, but anything longer than a pickup truck is going to high-center.
G

Date: 09/14/20 20:22

ExSPCondr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> If that isn't a dangerous crossing, I don't know
> what one is!
>
> Not only is the visibility in one direction less
> than a hundred feet due to vegetation, but
> anything longer than a pickup truck is going to
> high-center.
> G

It's not as bad as you think actually. Yes there is a hump but South Shore Dr has other characteristics (steep hills and extremely tight corners) that make it impassable to anything larger than a moving van. Pickups with trailers seem to do okay with it. The first crossing (Greenbrier Rd) is a gravel road after the crossing and only used by a handful of vehicles daily. It has never had an accident in its FRA recorded history. The second crossing (South Shore Dr) is busier but has only had two accidents in it's recorded history. At both crossings, the vegetation along the railroad right of way is cut back significantly, and drivers can see far enough around the curve when stopped to make a safe decision. If those stop signs weren't there however, the story might be different.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/15/20 16:22
Author: stlrailfan

I saw the waybill unit is owned by CIT
 Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0657 seconds