Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 7/19/20: Rock Island at Sumner, Mississippi.

Date: 09/15/20 21:05
7/19/20: Rock Island at Sumner, Mississippi.
Author: Apalachicola721

7/19/20: Rock Island at Sumner, Mississippi.

I have not posted much due to work on Rock Island and internet issues due to living in the sticks. But, without further interruption, I was able to get some time to post some. Here are photos of Rock Island power at Sumner, MS. RI 4310 and 4373 hold down a few cars from CN's interchange at Swan Lake as it is tied up for the day. GMTX 415 is tied to former M&B 207 on Sumner siding (the pad is behind me). RI (formerly CN) C40-8, 2127, rests at the railroads pad in Sumner where the railroads office and maintenance of way department is. Attached are additional photos. Enjoy.

Date: 09/15/20 21:13
Re: 7/19/20: Rock Island at Sumner, Mississippi.

Additional images from 07/19/20 of Rock Island to also include LREX 3024, GMTX 415, RI 2127, RI 4310, RI 4373. Enjoy.

Date: 09/15/20 21:50
Author: NDHolmes

Okay, so I've got to ask - what's up with Mr. Peanut dressed up and hanging on 3024?

For that matter, glad to see 3024 survives.  When the CVR sold them off last year, I assumed it and the other former DRGW GP30s were headed for scrap.  They certainly used them hard enough I didn't think there was much service life left in them.  Can't wait for my next trip to Memphis when I can come down and see the new RI units.

Date: 09/15/20 22:33

Your first question- Mr. Peanut thumbed a ride laying next to the mainline at Tutwiler. I was riding for part of the day prior to hiring on with Rock Island and he’s been keeping the 30 company ever since.

Secondly: the CVR definitely used their 30’s. This one was in bad shape when it was brought to Rock Island and with ALOT of workings to get it right (electrical, engine, etc)- the engine is one of the best, reliable, quiet engines on roster. It’s a real gem and can pull some cars..
I wished he could obtain another CVR GP30 to pair with it but not sure if that is happening.

When you are down, generally, On duty time is 0900 at Sumner Monday-Friday. Rock Island does not work weekends, unless it is necessary. You can’t miss it as we are the center of town. Thanks.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/15/20 22:35 by Apalachicola721.

Date: 09/16/20 04:59
Author: SeaboardMan

Nice looking power, thanks for your photos.    Small request.  A photo of that caboose behind the tunnel motor please.
thanks, John 

Date: 09/16/20 05:38

Which motor?
We do not have a tunnel motor.

Thanks’

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/20 05:58
Author: chuchubob

Apalachicola721 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Which motor?
> We do not have a tunnel motor.
>
> Thanks’

Presumably 415, which looks to me to be a GP15-1.

Date: 09/16/20 14:03
Author: NDHolmes

chuchubob Wrote:
> Apalachicola721 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> > We do not have a tunnel motor.
> Presumably 415, which looks to me to be a GP15-1.

Ah yes, the elusive "culvert motor" as those of us flatlanders jokingly referred to them.  I still remember watching gaggles of those things dragging around grain trains on the CNW branches of Iowa when I was growing up.

Glad to know 3024 is back up and earning its keep.  Hopefully you guys can scare up enough business to keep all that power busy.  It's good to see things happening on that sleepy branch.

Date: 09/16/20 14:10
Author: Grand87

how's buisness for The "Rock Island" ?

Date: 09/16/20 19:16

I haven’t heard “gaggles” but only a few times in my life. The GP15 is an awesome locomotive. Very reliable.

The 3024 is definitely earning its keep. It’s an excellent motor. It leaks oil occasionally and most recently had an air compressor issue where the compressor nearly seized up. Fortunately that was fixed, for now until a new compressor can be had.

Thanks for the comment!

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/16/20 19:19

Business for the Rock is strong. The Rock handles empty and loaded storage and handles a lot of cars. We do Transloading on occasion. The Greenwood switcher only had one motor and handles all of our interchange. They are so busy that they can’t get all of the interchange usually. Sometimes it’s slow but very rarely. Business model is set up so if the economy tanks, customers send cars here for storage, if the economy doesn’t tank-the need for storage still exists as the need comes and goes. We have storage capacity for at least 2500 cars and are at least over half of that.

Thanks for the comment.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/23/20 17:49
Author: brc600

Do the RI painted units have RI horns?

Apalachicola721 Wrote:
> Business for the Rock is strong. The Rock handles
> empty and loaded storage and handles a lot of
> cars. We do Transloading on occasion. The
> Greenwood switcher only had one motor and handles
> all of our interchange. They are so busy that they
> can’t get all of the interchange usually.
> Sometimes it’s slow but very rarely. Business
> model is set up so if the economy tanks, customers
> send cars here for storage, if the economy
> doesn’t tank-the need for storage still exists
> as the need comes and goes. We have storage
> capacity for at least 2500 cars and are at least
> over half of that.
>
> Thanks for the comment.
>
> Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.052 seconds