Home Open Account Help 302 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Finger Lakes Railway and NS around Geneva, NY

Date: 10/13/20 17:13
Finger Lakes Railway and NS around Geneva, NY
Author: sscannella

My wife and I spent last Monday evening in Corning, NY, before heading to Geneva and Watkins Glen for the day.  I built in a little time to do some rail photography in Geneva, at the top of Seneca Lake, and was able to get the Corning - Geneva NS turn - H06, plus a couple of Finger Lakes Railway moves while there.  The original plan was to catch some action around Corning (Gangs Mills) in the morning and follow the HO6 thru Watkins Glen to Geneva.  But the Corning area was heavily fogged in in the morning, so we modified our plans a bit.

H06 got into the Finger Lakes Yard just before we arrived, the Finger Lakes GS2 interchange job to CSX at Solvay (Syracuse) was also getting it's train together, while the GY1 yard job was waiting for both of those trains to depart before going back to work.

Here we see the GY1 waiting, while a short time later the H06 pulled west out of the yard to prepare to depart back to Corning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 07:18 by sscannella.

Date: 10/13/20 17:20
Re: Finger Lakes Railway and NS around Geneva, NY

While waiting for H06 to depart, GS2 got permission to head out of the east side of the yard, so we headed to intercept him, which was a wise choice as he had a pair of their recently acquired GP38-2.

H06 of course left and got ahead of us, and although I lost sight of him on our trip back down to Watkin's Glen, I was pretty sure I had gotten ahead somewhere.  My hunch was right, as a 15 minute wait at the Rt 14 grade crossing between Himrod and Dresden was all it took for it to show up.  That was the end of the chase, as we had other plans for the Watkins Glen area that afternoon, but it made the day that much better getting a few rail photos.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 07:19 by sscannella.

Date: 10/13/20 17:25

A pair of videos from the day (apologies for the tree branch dangling in the Finger Lakes vid.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/20 07:19 by sscannella.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/15/20 09:43
Author: MartyBernard

I see nothing wrong with the tree branch.

Marty

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0469 seconds