Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > My Crack At The UP #1989 Leading 22 Gangster....

Date: 10/15/20 04:05
My Crack At The UP #1989 Leading 22 Gangster....
Author: NSSpike

….But not before dealing with a major accident on west bound I-20 forced a ton of interstate traffic to use 2 lane US-78 between Villa Rica and Temple, which forced me to change up my plans on chasing the UP #1989 Rio Grande units eastward trek through west Georgia. My original plans were to catch NS 22G Shreveport, LA (UP ILBNS / KCS IKLBNS) - Atlanta, GA. farther to the west and work my way eastward to at least Douglasville. Knowing a ton of railfans would be out after this rare visitor off the UP I decided to set up at the Douglasville S curves for my first crack at it. Getting there early paid off and I was able to pick my spot. It wasn't long and the masses assembled.  

#1 & 2. A high risk.. high reward photo location aiming across US-78 as the UP #1989 works its way through the S curves on the NS Alabama East End District. 

#3. Used the cell phone on this one as we both head east toward Austell Georgia. 

...more to follow... 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 10/15/20 04:07
Re: My Crack At The UP #1989 Leading 22 Gangster....
Author: NSSpike

I got ahead of 22G at Lithia Springs and set up at the very end of the Alabama territory's tracks at Austell Jct. Radio traffic was scarce and word went out via social media that it was being tied down at Lithia Springs. So I headed back west. Wrong move!! When I got there here 22G comes. Fought the traffic and ended up missing the Austell shot. So I headed to Mabelton. At least now there was good radio communications. As expected space was scarce but I managed a couple photos. 

#4 & 5.After stopping on main #2 between CP Cobb and CP Lowe for a Whitaker yard job to grab a cut from their rear 22G heads southbound at CP Mabelton. 

Not what I had in mind but better then nothing. As to the 22 Gangster? Of late that's what it's being called. 

Thanks for stopping by and always be safe when out track side!!! 

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 10/15/20 04:45
Author: jmbreitigan

Phil it looks like you got some good photos while dealing with the traffic issues. Glad you were able to score.
John

Date: 10/15/20 07:57
Author: RayH

Was wondering if you were out there yesterday, as I watched the reports come in via FB (while at work...). You did great! Nice for UP to send it all the way to ATL this time, unlike 2 weeks ago when it was pulled off (and I was in Atlanta)

And I know full well the frustrations of planning for HU shots, only to be foiled by freeway accidents and the ensuing backup (in July I SAT in traffic for > an hour while the N&W/4000 combo escaped me).

Date: 10/15/20 17:28
Author: steamloco

Nice job.

Date: 10/16/20 11:02
Author: bobk

Great series!

Date: 10/16/20 15:51
Author: Vicksburg_Route

Fine set of images, Phil.  Outstanding work.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0539 seconds