Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > A day on the KCS Gulfport Sub

Date: 10/16/20 05:53
A day on the KCS Gulfport Sub
Author: tuxedorailfan

September 4th, 2020

A goal of mine that I've had for quite some time was accomplished on this day... You would think that since I live so close, I would've came sooner.

Finally got off of my duff and shot L-GP101, the Gulfport Local, with its small fleet of venerable SD40-2's. With KCS' constant uncertainty, I made the decision to burn a vacation day and shoot these things while I had the opportunity. With only 16 active SD40-2/3's on their roster (not counting the 2 in MOW service), it was required that I see them one last time.

While I would have preferred a trio of these brutes in Southern Belle paint, it was nice seeing one of the grey ghosts. Growing up, these things were common and I've got photos of probably every one that KCS rostered at one point or another.

The engine consist of the train on this day was KCS 3205, bought new by KCS as 642 in January of 1972. Second out is 6092, built new for the Quebec, North Shore & Labrador (QNSL) as their #200 in February 1969. KCS got this unit in the 90's and rebuilt it. Lastly we have the 3206, another SD that was purchased new as 643 in January of 1972.

This particular line from Gulfport, MS to CN's Bell Yard in Hattiesburg, MS is very predictable and the local is easy to chase if you plan where you want to shoot. The northbound run is backlit, but if you follow them out of Gulfport, you can get an idea of where you want to shoot for the southbound trip in decent light. I followed them on a Friday, and from what I was told they go on Duty in Gulfport at around 6AM, and make it to Hattiesburg around 11AM. Sure enough, they ran like clock work. There are a couple of slow order on the line, but they have a few miles to stretch the SD's out at 49MPH also. They only run Monday-Friday, so if you're able to make the trip, it would be well worth it. 

Enjoy!

-Dylan

Date: 10/16/20 06:13
Re: A day on the KCS Gulfport Sub
Author: NSSpike

Yes Sir Buddy!!  Great pics and excellent narrative to compliment your efforts!  A Vacation Day well spent!!
NSSpike

Phil Maton
Villa Rica, GA

Date: 10/16/20 06:33

NSSpike Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes Sir Buddy!!  Great pics and excellent
> narrative to compliment your efforts!  A Vacation
> Day well spent!!
> NSSpike

Yessir! I want to go back down again here soon now that the weather is cooling off some more. May have to burn another vacation day and make it happen.

Date: 10/16/20 07:06
Author: RayH

Great coverage, thanks for posting. (I've also burned a few vacation days this summer to shoot M-F only shortlines. Pickens, Pee Dee River, Lancaster & Chester, and Sandersville).

Date: 10/16/20 07:48

RayH Wrote:
> Great coverage, thanks for posting. (I've
> also burned a few vacation days this summer to
> shoot M-F only shortlines. Pickens, Pee Dee River,
> Lancaster & Chester, and Sandersville).

Thanks, Ray. I'm wanting to see Pickins and Sandersville. I need to start knocking stuff off of my list!

Date: 10/16/20 13:32
Author: BarstowRiff

Thats a lot of power for four cars!

Date: 10/16/20 15:49
Author: Vicksburg_Route

Excellent set of images, Dylan.  Well done!

Date: 10/17/20 06:17
Author: ShortlinesUSA

BarstowRiff Wrote:
> Thats a lot of power for four cars!

From my few trips down there, it seems the 101's power is not "customized" for the day's consist.  The trio is in place whether they have 8 cars or 80.

Nice series, Dylan!

Mike Derrick

Date: 10/17/20 11:21
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice indeed. So, I guess the job I saw heading south out of Hattiesburg a few years ago was this turn on it's return trip to Gulfport. Nice to know. My catch of it was pure luck. And, it did have three old gray units.
JB

Date: 10/17/20 17:09
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 10/17/20 18:38
Author: SCKP187

Very nice chase and great bunch of shots.  Still good to see the gray units 
Brian Stevens

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds