Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Pix and Drone Video from Marion, Ohio - October 9, 2020

Date: 10/16/20 11:02
Pix and Drone Video from Marion, Ohio - October 9, 2020
Author: btheaker

My son and I made our annual pilgrimage to Marion on Friday, October 9.  In past years, we seemed to catch 10-12 trains in three-four hours there; this morning, we caught only six in three-plus hours. 

A gentlemen who was there blamed NS's embrace of PSR for the reduction in traffic.  We only saw two NS trains - a monster southbound with a lot of rail in tow, and the northbound that is in the attached video.   

It has been a while since I had the drone up, and my flying skills were rusty.  I did record sound - I hope it is reasonably syched to the video.  

Date: 10/16/20 11:04
Re: Pix and Drone Video from Marion, Ohio - October 9, 2020
Author: btheaker

Forgot to mention that the EL caboose there was undergoing renovation (photo above).  

NS NB starts at 3:15 in the video.  

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/16/20 11:33
Author: FiveChime

Nice video!  I was there for the first time for Summerail in 2019 and your video really helps with orientation.
Sound was good also.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 10/16/20 13:52
Author: 1019X

Very nice Drone video, looks like a great place. What is the history of the large red brick industrial complex in the background of the first part of the video?

Date: 10/16/20 16:49
Author: The-late-EMD

I'mean on my 3rd drone. Really got to learn how to fly them damn things.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/16/20 19:00
Author: osp1729

>>>>Very nice Drone video, looks like a great place. What is the history of the large red brick industrial complex in the background of the first part of the video?

This was The Marion Power Shovel company.  They made Draglines, Shovels, and other mining equipment.  If you google it you will get  a lot more information about the history of the company.  

Shawn Kline

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/20 19:01 by osp1729.

Date: 10/17/20 16:17
Author: 1019X

Thanks Shawn, I recall seeing some of their equipment.
Charlie
osp1729 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >>>>Very nice Drone video, looks like a great
> place. What is the history of the large red brick
> industrial complex in the background of the first
> part of the video?
>
> This was The Marion Power Shovel company.  They
> made Draglines, Shovels, and other mining
> equipment.  If you google it you will get  a lot
> more information about the history of the
> company.  
>
> Shawn Kline

Date: 10/17/20 17:08
Author: ns1000

Great video!!

Date: 10/18/20 17:56
Author: cutboy1958

Interesting. O  first  visited in  1970. Pete  White   was  the  block operator. Today  he  pretty much  is the  go to   guy in  tower  and  depot. A  gentelman!!

Date: 10/19/20 04:11
Author: ironmtn

FiveChime Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice video!  I was there for the first time for
> Summerail in 2019 and your video really helps with
> orientation.
> Sound was good also.
>
> Regards, Jim Evans

Great video!! I also attended Summerail in Marion a few years ago (2018, I think), and had a great time. I agree, this video really gives an excellent overview and orientation to the area around the depot and the restored AC Tower. Thanks for posting it for us to enjoy.

Once we are on the other side of this pandemic, you gotta put a visit to Marion on your list. Lots of trains in a concentrated area near the depot, plus the ability to visit and photograph from the restored AC Tower. The local group has done an impeccable job with the tower's restoration and operation as a living history museum, right down to the ability to line up routes (in simulation, of course -- not actual operation) on the interlocking machine and its model board. Just a really neat experience. I hung around in the tower a lot day and night when I was there for Summerail, and it was a memorable experience.

Put Marion on your list! Can't wait to get back there myself. And thanks again for the fine video.

MC
Muskegon. Michigan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0457 seconds