Home Open Account Help 352 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "DR" Tower

Date: 10/16/20 17:08
"DR" Tower
Author: EL-SD45-3632

DR Tower in Deshler Ohio is currently under some renovations to it's interior. Currently the crews are removing the existing, some bordered up and other windows and will be temporally re-bordered up until the new tower like windows arrive to be installed. There has been a rumor on Facebook that the tower was coming down but that's not going to happen. Most of the track related circuits have been removed and all that remains in the tower (reported by a CSX maintainer) is some railroad telephone equipment, he also mentioned it will look real nice when the renovations are completed. Good news for the tower because it's in real good shape and there is no need to tear it down. As far as the depot goes, he is not sure of it's fate as of now however, it's not long before it comes down on it's own from the looks of it, at least from the exterior, maybe from the interior it may be more sound and it may stand for a while, hope so....

Date: 10/16/20 18:39
Re: "DR" Tower
Author: dozerman

I remember way back in the early 2000's I got offered to go up and check out the tower and what struck me was the wallpaper inside, it was all mechanical drawings on blue print paper of all types of locomotives.

Date: 10/16/20 20:20
Author: Gonut1

Not to be a wet blanket but why is CSX spending money on this tower, regardless of it's good condition, if there is little or no track signalling equipment inside and only telephone gear remaining? It sounds like a secure signal cabin would easily replace a taxed building structure? Also curious what exactly are "tower like windows"? Sure it will be nice to keep the historical tower but it doesn't make economical sense. Keep us up to date on this.
Thanks for the photo and info.
Go

Date: 10/16/20 20:58
Author: TAW

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Also curious what exactly are "tower
> like windows"?

Looking at the Google Street view, the second floor windows wer replaced with relatively small windows and most of them were blanked. The second floor windows were more like the first floor windows. I was last there in around 1970, when it was the Toledo Division dispatchers office.

TAW

Date: 10/20/20 13:04
Author: Gandoid

Headquarters are required for Signal Maintainers

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds