Home Open Account Help 244 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Some Fall Color Left on the Keystone Sub

Date: 10/25/20 05:02
Some Fall Color Left on the Keystone Sub
Author: jmbreitigan

We spent this past Wednesday & Thursday around Confluence, Myersdale and Garrett, PA. There was still some color left but it soon will be gone. Mostly looking for some decent places to take pictures. The area is beuatifull but with fewer and longer trains running it may take some time if you have several places in mind. I consider myself lucky as I am not too far away. So I can come back to look around some more. Early Thursday morning was very foggy and it took some time for most of the fog to disappear, We saw our first train at Garrett at 09:30. And most of the fog was gone. It would be our only train to see that day. We heard two more and that was it when we left around 4PM. Even with the lack of trains we found it a pleasure to explore the rural areas. So lets get the show started.

1. CSXT 903834 caboose sits on a siding off the Keystone Sub that leads to Rosebud Mining Co. mine (Shaw mine). It is used as a shoving platform.      Myersdale, PA. 10-21-20

2 & 3. CSXT #3048 & #8 working hard, head east on track 2 with 110 loaded SCWX coal hoppers. Part of the Keystone Viaduct is in the background. I am right at a locked & posted gate which prevented me from getting more of the Viaduct in view and put that pile of ballast behind me lol.      Myersdake, PA.  10-21-20

More pictures to follow.......

Date: 10/25/20 05:22
Re: Some Fall Color Left on the Keystone Sub

4. DPU's CSXT #3237 & #3281 also working hard, on 110 SCWX loaded coal train.      Myersdale, PA.  10-21-20

5. CSXT # 5252 approaching the Scratch Hill road crossing, leads a mixed manifest east on track 2.   Myersdale, PA.  10-21-20

6. CSXT #800 leads an intermodal train west on track 1. One mid DPU on this train. We waited some time for this train only to be skunked by a big cloud but it came out OK.     Myersdale, PA.  10-21-20

More pictures .......

Date: 10/25/20 05:27

7. Here at Shaw mine, Tri-axle trucks are being loaded with a fine powdery dirt. Then it is hauled away to parts unknown.   Myersdale, PA.   10-21-20

8. Shaw Mine Load-out. Looking at the track, it has been unused for some time.     Myersdale, PA.    10-21-20

9. A long mixed manifest approaches Yoder, headed west on #1 track. CSXT #7219, 5112 & B&P 2172 & CSXT # 8818 & 8861 in YN2 are up front. I belive the first two units were powered up. Garrett, PA. This and following pictures are on 10-22-20.

More pictures.........

Date: 10/25/20 05:31

10. #2172 headed to B&P in Butler, PA. I assume.   

11. Headed towards Garrett, PA. Mason Dixon Highway to the right.     

12. CSXT #257 & 3024, mid train DPU's.

Thanks for looking,

John Breitigan
Washington, PA.

Date: 10/25/20 16:46
Author: cinder

Thanks for sharing the great pics John.

Date: 10/26/20 08:17
Author: Gonut1

Good scenery from CSX parts rarely seen. Thanks!
The fine powdery dirt at the Shaw Mine is likley Coal Culm. there always seems to be a market for the mining "leftovers".
Go

Date: 10/26/20 09:57

cinder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for sharing the great pics John.

Thanks cinder. 

Date: 10/26/20 09:58

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Good scenery from CSX parts rarely seen. Thanks!
> The fine powdery dirt at the Shaw Mine is likley
> Coal Culm. there always seems to be a market for
> the mining "leftovers".
> Go

Thank you Gonut1 for the info on the mine.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0609 seconds