Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > The sights one encounters when trackside

Date: 11/14/20 15:10
The sights one encounters when trackside
Author: Pattenburg

Decided to head down to head trackside along CSX's Trenton Line in Belle Mead (NJ) near the former Reading depot. While waiting for a CSX train, I noticed what looked like a clump of grass growing out of the depot's dilapidated roof. Curiosity got the best of me and upon closer inspection that clump of grass turned out to be a red fox sunning itself on the roof. When I first saw it there my first thought he was stuck in the roof. After fifteen minutes that notion was dispelled when he (she?) got up and moved to a more sheltered  spot of the roof. Seeing the fox up on the roof, it reminded me of the iguana I spotted along NS's Lehigh Line near the Valley Road grade crossing a number of years ago. From time to time most railfans will encounter wildlife such as deer, snakes, etc. Still seeing this certainly made my time interesting.

Date: 11/14/20 15:19
Re: The sights one encounters when trackside
Author: icancmp193

The fox looks like it could use a little help. We have a gray fox that visits our backyard every night. He/she is incredibly swift and stealthy!

TJY

Date: 11/14/20 15:21
Author: exhaustED

Great shots, well spotted. Your fox looked a bit world-weary, but happy enough in the sunshine!

Date: 11/14/20 16:42
Author: RGTower

About 15 years ago, I went inside that old station. The basement had 8’ of water in it.

Date: 11/15/20 07:22
Author: boejoe

RGTower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> About 15 years ago, I went inside that old
> station. The basement had 8’ of water in it.
I wonder what kind(s) of wildlife were living in the water, hmmm.

Date: 11/15/20 08:55
Author: Milwaukee

How did the fox get on the roof? They aren't known for their climbing.

Date: 11/15/20 10:31
Author: icancmp193

Milwaukee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How did the fox get on the roof? They aren't
> known for their climbing.

I believe the fox is the only member of the dog family that can climb a tree (or station).
My backyard fox goes about 6' up a tree to get peanuts from a squirrel feeder.

TJY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1054 seconds