Home Open Account Help 234 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Disappearing Southern Rwy Whistle Signs

Date: 11/30/20 20:38
Disappearing Southern Rwy Whistle Signs
Author: B-LineRailfan

Not sure if it is theives or MOW proactively replacing them, but a lot of the old Southern Railway whistle signs have been removed from the NS B-line in Virginia.  When they are replaced, it's with a simple "W" sign.  Here are a few shots of signs from recent years before they were removed.

NS 211 - 7/25/2017 near Linden, Va
NS 227 - 2/24/2016 near Linden, Va
NS 956 - 3/26/2015 near Front Royal, Va

Steve Gass
B-LineRailfan.Com

Date: 12/01/20 05:12
Re: Disappearing Southern Rwy Whistle Signs
Author: boejoe

Great photos, especially the Heritage Unit recreating a paint scheme in familiar territory.

Date: 12/01/20 07:46
Author: Dewman45

I think it's the mow crews because it's sadly the same here in Northeast Florida and South Georgia.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/01/20 08:02
Author: Off-pending

Same with the Wabash style whistle boards up north.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/01/20 09:17
Author: dschlegel

Most of the original cast iron W signs in the northeast were replaced decades ago by Conrail, but a few still stand here and there in the weeds on branch lines. A neighbor of mine who was a track foreman for the Reading, Conrail, and Norfolk Southern and who has since passed away told me of a few up on the C&F Branch east of Chapman’s yard near Fogelsville, PA. Not sure if they’re still standing as he passed away almost 5 years ago.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/01/20 19:55
Author: ChrisCampi

Took me a second to understand what the signs were implying. Pretty cool. Sorry to see them going.

Date: 12/02/20 22:01
Author: scoobydoobydoo

I would like to make one,Does anyone  know the width and length of one,thanks scoob

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds