Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Danny Harmon's CSX signals video series

Date: 12/02/20 07:46
Danny Harmon's CSX signals video series
Author: Lackawanna484

I've been enjoying the various videos Danny Harmon has created on U tube over the various signals used on CSX, and what they mean.  It's interesting that decades after the mergers, different signal indications (combinations of lights) are still in use. 

Lots of A line, S line, advance approach, approach medium, permissive, plated.  I'm guessing that L&N, RF&P, etc may ad new combinations

Date: 12/02/20 10:29
Re: Danny Harmon's CSX signals video series
Author: Darthsimpletext

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been enjoying the various videos Danny Harmon
> has created on U tube over the various signals
> used on CSX, and what they mean.  It's
> interesting that decades after the mergers,
> different signal indications (combinations of
> lights) are still in use. 
>
> Lots of A line, S line, advance approach, approach
> medium, permissive, plated.  I'm guessing that
> L&N, RF&P, etc may ad new combinations

i think you mean "Distantsigna" as the guy who has this series

nick

Date: 12/02/20 13:31
Author: DPM

Interestingly, the signal aspects on CSX have been essentially standardized since their first rule book in 1987, though the catch is that they have three sets of them that apply in different territories: their standard aspects (sometimes referred to as “Seaboard” aspects based on their origin from the former SBD lines), the former C&O aspect set, and the former Conrail aspect set that was added with the 1999 merger. 

However, CSX has been actively working to standardize on the “Seaboard” aspects since the early 1990’s.  They’ve done so many re-signaling projects since then that they’re slowly nearing complete standardization.  Most of the former C&O lines have been re-signaled, leaving only the Big Sandy Sub, some branches, and some former-PM trackage in Michigan with the old C&O aspects.  Many former Conrail lines have new signals too, but some sections of mainline trackage still use the Conrail aspects for now.  The former RF&P has been upgraded to the standard aspects too. 

In addition to the aspects for color light signals, the standard set also includes B&O-style color-position light signals.  However, most of the CPLs have been replaced with color lights using the standard aspects and the only significant numbers remaining on CSX are on parts of the Toledo and Cincinnati Terminal Subs in Ohio and part of the Indiana Sub in southern Indiana.  

Even with standardization on one set, CSX still uses many different aspects because their system is a “speed signaling” system rather than a “route signaling” system.  This generally results in more aspects, since the combinations add up across different speeds (for example, using Limited Clear, Medium Clear, and Slow Clear to govern diverging routes rather than only Diverging Clear).  The current CSX “standard” signals have 24 indications, where in comparison, Norfolk Southern’s former SOU lines, which use a route system, have half as many.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/20 13:32 by DPM.

Date: 12/02/20 13:33
Author: DPM

Speaking of Norfolk Southern – unlike CSX, they seem to have no plans to convert to one set of signal rules for the entire railroad.  They also have three sets: former SOU, former N&W, and former Conrail. 

Date: 12/02/20 22:44
Author: bath_wildcat

I watch Danny's YouTube channel. Love every but of it as it gets me out of Ohio and into Florida like I am railfaning with him.

Someday my wife and I will make a run to Disney, don't worry, I have set aside a day to possibly meet up with Danny to railfan the Bone Valley, and what other hotspots he has down there.

Michael Fair
Royal Oak, MI

Date: 12/03/20 00:14
Author: 8notch

Danny Harmon has the best voice over for railroad video's. I think his You tube channel is called Distant Signals. He has been doing this for years.
It's worth a look, you won't be disappointed.
Robert in Lagrande Oregon  

Date: 12/06/20 18:31
Author: CZ10

For those of you in the rail simulator community, Danny is also the voice of the defect detectors in the A-Line and Waycross Run8 routes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds