Home Open Account Help 337 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > 2020 Hindsight: Getting Used to the ACE-face

Date: 01/10/21 19:02
2020 Hindsight: Getting Used to the ACE-face
Author: march_hare

I complain a lot about the ubiquity of GE wide cabs on American railroads.  But this year on the former D&H, we actually got quite a few of the competitor's newer SD70ACE units (I'm probably getting the model numbers wrong, but still...). Viewed head on, they're not great works of industrial design. Raymond Loewy doesn't live here.  

But trains are still cool, and I'll be out there watching them roll. In photo#1, we are at Howe’s Cave, NY this past June. The abandoned hulk of Tillison's Lunch, marked with orange cones, has recently collapsed into the street, taking away what had been a pretty cool "ghost town" shot. That kinda sucks. My mom trained me to find something encouraging to say, even when things don't look so great. So, as 11R rolls by (insert grumble, grumble) "at least it's not a GE". 

And then, 20 minutes later on this warm afternoon, another southbound heels into the curve. It's another ACE-face unit, but this time a CN machine leading 30T up the hill. Hmmm, "at least it's some color other than black". 

Take your victories where you find them. 

Date: 01/11/21 07:55
Re: 2020 Hindsight: Getting Used to the ACE-face
Author: RAILOH

Pondering the background, is that a home or building collapse?

Date: 01/11/21 09:19
Author: Gonut1

The abandoned hulk of Tillison's Lunch, marked with orange cones, has recently collapsed into the street...
Go

Date: 01/11/21 18:14
Author: md

Any photo's you have while the lunch stand still stood or was open for business?

Date: 01/12/21 05:04
Author: march_hare

Tillison'swas still standing in 2019, the almost last remnant of a row of houses and storefronts that faced the tracks. The grapevine growth was so heavy that the vines actually kept some parts of the building in place when the front fell into the street. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds