Home Open Account Help 245 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > "Wabashing" on the NS H and Lurgan lines

Date: 01/12/21 05:24
"Wabashing" on the NS H and Lurgan lines
Author: bigsavage

Sunday, January 10, gave an opportunity for a spirited chase of NS's Wabash #1070 heritage unit on Intermodal train 202.
The train took about 9 hours to run the former N&W Shenandoah line, from Roanoke, Va. to Hagerstown, MD.

At 9:37 a.m., 202 is at Antietam Station, MD., 14 miles south of Hagerstown, and the chase is on.
At 9:56, a quick grab shot at Rench Road, just south of Hagerstown's Vardo yard.
10:17 at Hykes Road, just north of State Line, PA., on the former PRR Cumberland Valley RR. The Greencastle Intermodal yard is just ahead, now used for block swapping from manifests, and local switching.That's the snow-covered trails of Whitetail Ski resort on the mountain behind the second unit.

Date: 01/12/21 05:33
Re: "Wabashing" on the NS H and Lurgan lines

202 did not slow untl Shippensburg, PA., where the NS dispatcher put it in the siding for westbound Intermodal 228, passing Lee's Cross Roads on the former Reading Lurgan line at 10:56.
We bid 202 farewell at this point (11:00) and headed back to the Maugansville, MD. area as driver Theowhitey really needed some hot coffee after all that excitement.

Date: 01/12/21 05:38

Another burst of traffic came in mid-afternoon, here Manifest 12R is approaching Maugansville, MD. @ 2:47p.m. eastbound on the former PRR. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/21 05:44 by bigsavage.

Date: 01/12/21 05:43

Manifest 13R came west @ 3:11 p.m., with 4 cars of Reading & Northern coal ahead of the DPU.
Maugansville's "CP McDonald's"  sign is visible, there are also Dunkin'Donuts, Taco Bell, Sheetz, and others available for railfan sustenance

Date: 01/12/21 05:52

Intermodal 201 was photographed @ 3:21 westbound at Rieff's Church Road just west of Maugansville.
CSX Local KH00 closed out the action @ 3:48, using NS trackage rights from Hagerstown to Shippensburg to access the remaining stub of the Western Maryland Railway to Letterkenny Army base and Business Park.
All photos by Warren W. Jenkins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/21 06:50 by bigsavage.

Date: 01/12/21 06:54
Author: dschlegel

Great series of photos! The Lurgan can get pretty busy, I have a buddy that lives just north of Greencastle and every time I visit I am impressed with the number of movements on a mostly single track line.

Dan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/12/21 07:53
Author: Gonut1

I was out that way all day Saturday visiting the daughter near Boiling Springs and didn't see a thing. I did hear one train mid-afternoon. It seems real hit or miss on the Lurgan. Than aagin I'm used to the busy Harrisburg Main.
Go

Date: 01/12/21 08:06

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was out that way all day Saturday visiting the
> daughter near Boiling Springs and didn't see a
> thing. I did hear one train mid-afternoon. It
> seems real hit or miss on the Lurgan. Than aagin
> I'm used to the busy Harrisburg Main.
> Go

If we had 1 more hour of daylight Sunday, could have had 3 more trains between 4:30 and 5:45 p.m.

Date: 01/13/21 23:01
Author: Soo715

Very nice shots!

Decades ago I remember in my little southern Michigan rail community that the term "Wabashing" meant trying to force 100 cars into a 99 car siding. With predictable results!

Date: 01/14/21 15:26
Author: jmbreitigan

The Wabash locomotive seems to be holding up well.
John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds