Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Warehouse expansion in Buffalo=more boxcar business

Date: 01/13/21 10:27
Warehouse expansion in Buffalo=more boxcar business
Author: SouthBuffalo1

Sonwil distribution is a warehouse and logistics company with multiple warehouses in the Buffalo area.  One in South Buffalo is served by CSX near the Seneca Yard facility and another one in West Seneca is served by the NS (off the old PRR Buffalo Line).   The South Buffalo facility is 308,000 square feet and at any given time I have seen 8 to 10 boxcars along the building.  They are in the process of building a new 330,000 square foot facility adjacent to the current South Buffalo warehouse.  This new facility will have a new rail spur with 12 unloading spots.  They may be one of the larger shippers utilizing boxcars in Western New York.

GO BILLS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/21 10:28 by SouthBuffalo1.

Date: 01/13/21 11:55
Re: Warehouse expansion in Buffalo=more boxcar business
Author: Totallamer

What do they handle there?  Paper or plywood I assume?  Seems like that's the vast majority of what travels in boxcars these days.

SouthBuffalo1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sonwil distribution is a warehouse and logistics
> company with multiple warehouses in the Buffalo
> area.  One in South Buffalo is served by CSX near
> the Seneca Yard facility and another one in West
> Seneca is served by the NS (off the old PRR
> Buffalo Line).   The South Buffalo facility is
> 308,000 square feet and at any given time I have
> seen 8 to 10 boxcars along the building.  They
> are in the process of building a new 330,000
> square foot facility adjacent to the current South
> Buffalo warehouse.  This new facility will have a
> new rail spur with 12 unloading spots.  They may
> be one of the larger shippers utilizing boxcars in
> Western New York.
>
> GO BILLS!

Date: 01/13/21 12:21
Author: SouthBuffalo1

Not sure what is being shipped from the current warehouse. According to an article in the Buffalo News the new warehouse is going to handle food products.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/13/21 22:05
Author: RF-NOCOM

I've see a lot of boxcars go in there that have the Gold Metal Flower logo on them. I haven't seen any refrigerated traffic yet.

You're always going track speed with RF-NoCom!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/14/21 12:05
Author: arelpy

I worked with Sonwill/West Seneca about 20 years ago, to set up a distribution lane for aftermarket auto parts (service parts) - railed in from the parts manufacturers to the West Seneca facility, where the shipments were broken down and trucked out to the dealerships.  Sonwill is a very big player in Food Distribution & Cold/Frozen Storage, but they also do more traditional warehousing, as well as less well known things like repackaging, return processing, light assembly, etc. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds