Home Open Account Help 318 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Newest rumor on CSX spirit units

Date: 02/18/21 08:10
Newest rumor on CSX spirit units
Author: mully

Saw a YouTube video that says the units are making a round trip from waycross to Selkirk then going back into storage

This makes as much sense as repainting. Does anyone really know ?

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/21 08:29
Re: Newest rumor on CSX spirit units
Author: MattW

I'm seeing much of the same. The best explanation I saw was that this was some kind of "shakedown" run. Basically, equipment that sits too long tends to deteriorate.

Date: 02/18/21 08:38
Author: CFI_85

Or is CSX power short and needed to bring these units out?

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/21 10:10
Author: wabash2800

Power short with hundreds of locomotives in storage?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

CFI_85 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or is CSX power short and needed to bring these
> units out?
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/18/21 14:49
Author: oneblock

PSR railroads don't repair units anymore. When one goes down they put it in storage and pull another one out.

Date: 02/18/21 15:01
Author: md

well good point, the 911 was dead in NJ and they needed to move the mDPU 1776 up front so it ran long hood forward on the Riverline to Selkirk.  At least that delay made this a daytime run up along the Hudson instead of a run in the dark.  Guess it didnt like the cold weather up here.  Still baffling what CSX is doing with these units, they are very contemporary, are many of the ES44AH units stored right now or just older ones?  Why spend so much time and effort painting these in this new livery and having  a section on the corporate website to mark these pride units.  I hear all 3 are headed south on Q409 today, they havent made it down to southenr riverline yet it appears, but I think Q409 has been running later in the day for sometime now.

https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/community-investment/pride-in-service/commemorative-locomotives/

Date: 02/19/21 06:34
Author: cjvrr

I can't imagine running that long hood forward up the Riverline.   Engineer must have had a sore neck at the end of the run.

Date: 02/19/21 10:23
Author: mttrainman1

Much easier to run long-hood than the old desk-top wide nose ge locos. The control stand is far enough back and the seat has enough adjustability to allow you to sit sideways ( maybe even backwards). They even have speedometer on the back wall next to the window so you don't have to constantly swivel between the two. The worst part is the big radiator. The worst I can remember running Long-hood was the Conrail sd80mac...

Date: 02/19/21 10:57
Author: Lackawanna484

thanks for that perspective

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds