Home Open Account Help 297 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Anyone know present status of Carthage, Knightstown, & Shirley?

Date: 02/20/21 09:47
Anyone know present status of Carthage, Knightstown, & Shirley?
Author: krm152

For many years (1989 - 2013), a tourist operation Carthage, Knightstown, & Shirley operated on an isolated five mile line between Knightstown and Carthage. This little segment was once part of NYC’s line between Anderson and North Vernon, Indiana.
My understanding is that the operation was pretty much a one man operation with the owner retiring at age 79 in 2013. In 2017, it was reported that the line was up for sale. Would appreciate any firm information as to whether the line has it been scrapped or still exits. Thanks
ALLEN

Date: 02/20/21 10:20
Re: Anyone know present status of Carthage, Knightstown, & Shirle
Author: sixaxlecentury

Some of the equipment was sold off.   Big sign in the depot window about how Obama shut him down...not his years of no maintenance…

Date: 02/20/21 12:58
Author: Topfuel

That operation was also running circa 1984/1985, but I believe it may have been under a different name and possibly different ownership.  At that time, they still had a connection to the outside world. 

Date: 02/20/21 15:26
Author: oneblock

Picking it up for scrap now.

Date: 02/20/21 17:39
Author: Howard_P

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That operation was also running circa 1984/1985,
> but I believe it may have been under a different
> name and possibly different ownership.  At that
> time, they still had a connection to the outside
> world..

The CK&S was incorporated in 1987 and I recall hearing of the owner moving the equipment in to begin opeations at that time.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds