Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Cordele GA


Date: 04/03/21 14:42
Cordele GA
Author: cockaboose

I've been noticing Loaded and empty SCWX coal and hopper trains running through Cordele On CSX. Why would these trains that usually go to Cross, SC come through here? They usually either come down from Richmond and Florence on the A-Line to Cross or out of Atlanta and Greenwood to Columbia and then on to Cross via the Eastover Sub.  



Date: 04/03/21 19:38
Re: Cordele GA
Author: RFandPFan

With coal plants closing, the SCWX hoppers have been leased to other plants and some are used in rock service as well.  They are frequently on mixed freights going to Florida.



Date: 04/04/21 05:00
Re: Cordele GA
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Depends on which mine from which the trains originate.  Several now come out of Indiana, so they come through Nashville-Chattanooga-Atlanta.  With reduction over service over the Georgia Road, those trains just keep right on going to Waycross, where the major rebuild of the junction allows them to take a straight turn north to Savannah and on up to South Carolina.

That was part of the reason for creating that route through Waycross, as well as capacity enhancements on the Fitzgerald Subdivision (which runs through Cordele) facilitating the addition of these moves.

Cross trains coming out of the PA/WV mines come down through Cumberland, MD to Washington, DC and then take the RF&P and A-line to Cross. 

Traffic patterns have shifted greatly for these trains in the past few years as many of the originating mines for these contracts are no longer in operation or have greatly reduced their output.

Mike Derrick
 



Date: 04/04/21 07:15
Re: Cordele GA
Author: RFandPFan

ShortlinesUSA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Depends on which mine from which the trains
> originate.  Several now come out of Indiana, so
> they come through Nashville-Chattanooga-Atlanta. 
> With reduction over service over the Georgia Road,
> those trains just keep right on going to Waycross,
> where the major rebuild of the junction allows
> them to take a straight turn north to Savannah and
> on up to South Carolina.
>
> That was part of the reason for creating that
> route through Waycross, as well as capacity
> enhancements on the Fitzgerald Subdivision (which
> runs through Cordele) facilitating the addition of
> these moves.
>
Mike, the Cross trains don't go via Waycross.  He's seeing SCWX hoppers going to Florida carrying both coal and rock traffic.  These are former SC utility hoppers being leased for other purposes.



Date: 04/04/21 07:30
Re: Cordele GA
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Thanks for that update, Greg.  The routing I described was the plan when I was editing the CSX news for Railroads Illustrated, but now that I think about it, that was quite a while ago.  Time flies!

MD
 



Date: 04/04/21 08:11
Re: Cordele GA
Author: RFandPFan

ShortlinesUSA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for that update, Greg.  The routing I
> described was the plan when I was editing the CSX
> news for Railroads Illustrated, but now that I
> think about it, that was quite a while ago.  Time
> flies!
>
> MD
>  

My pleasure.  I think the biggest obstacle in that plan was the Jesup Sub leaving Waycross.  First and foremost it's already a very busy line.  But even worse, they never extended the existing sidings resulting in almost all the intermodals and many manifest being "non-clearing" trains.  The A line in Jesup has become a holdout spot while non-clearing trains traverse the line.



Date: 04/04/21 13:04
Re: Cordele GA
Author: 15593060

Makes one think if only a well-maintained (including a rebuilt Altamaha River bridge) Everett Subdivision (former SAL) was available.   



Date: 04/04/21 15:07
Re: Cordele GA
Author: RFandPFan

15593060 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Makes one think if only a well-maintained
> (including a rebuilt Altamaha River bridge)
> Everett Subdivision (former SAL) was
> available.   

The SAL line was parallel to the A line (Nahunta Sub) where there are no capacity issues between Savannah and Jacksonville.  It's the Jesup Sub between Jesup and Waycross that has problems.  The SAL line wouldn't help that.



Date: 04/05/21 05:27
Re: Cordele GA
Author: ctillnc

CSX could get a lot of relief for the short-sidings problem between Waycross and Jesup by building a connection in the northwest quadrant at Nahunta. Run most of the Waycross-Jesup northbounds via Blackshear and most of the southbounds via Nahunta then into Waycross.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/21 05:29 by ctillnc.



Date: 04/05/21 08:20
Re: Cordele GA
Author: RFandPFan

ctillnc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> CSX could get a lot of relief for the
> short-sidings problem between Waycross and Jesup
> by building a connection in the northwest quadrant
> at Nahunta. Run most of the Waycross-Jesup
> northbounds via Blackshear and most of the
> southbounds via Nahunta then into Waycross.

Absolutely.  The Brunswick Sub only sees one train a day and the line is in decent shape.  There is also plenty of room for a wye track in that direction.



[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0493 seconds