Home Open Account Help 264 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Shenandoah Valley Railroad

Date: 04/03/21 18:38
Shenandoah Valley Railroad
Author: 2839Canadian

Would appreciate any info about this operation.  Is its headquarters in Staunton?  How often do they run?  What times?

Anything worth seeing in Mount Crawford?

Thanks in advance

Date: 04/03/21 19:03
Re: Shenandoah Valley Railroad
Author: mully

They are a M-F operation and rarely on Sat if needed. They usually make up train in Staunton in the morning and go north. It’s a very easy chase !!!

How far they go might be the question. Sometimes it’s to Pleasant Valley other times Weyers Cave Verona is a stop sometimes

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/03/21 20:07

Is their RS-11 inservice?

Date: 04/04/21 04:53
Author: ShortlinesUSA

Short answer-- yes.  Longer answer-- they have 3 active units on the roster and they rotate them in service.  Many days, the train only requires a single unit.  GP9 5940 (in the handsome C&O inspired scheme) seems to see the most service.

I passed through Staunton twice last month.  5940 was on the train both times.  RS11 367 was in the side track next to the shop not looking like it had seen service all that recently on my first pass.  When I came back through at the end of March, 367 was then first out on the side track, looking like they were about to (or had been) rotating her in service with 5940.  GP9 6512 is still buried in the side track, and may be out of service, or just waiting a turn to rotate through.

Of note, there is a small locomotive repair service that seems to have a relation with the Shenandoah Valley-- Precision Locomotive Services, LLC (PNLX is their reporting mark).  I've noticed of late, they have been using one of the tracks around the SVRR shop to do some work on recently acquired ex MARC GP40-2WH 57.  The PNLX units were typically found on the spur into Valley Feed, and there still are a couple over there.

For a while, SVRR was using the two serviceable PNLX units (GP40-2L 9619 and RP20GP 2107) which are painted in a handsome Rio Grande"ish" black and orange scheme on the train, but those two have now gone to Massachusetts for PTC installation.  So your chances of getting the RS11 running are as good as any right now.  It's just luck of the draw.

Mike Derrick

Date: 04/04/21 08:47
Author: mully

Also if your in Staunton check out the Buckingham Branch. There shop is just off Middlebrook Ave and they usually have power parked there

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/04/21 09:56

All of these replies are very helpful, many thankz

Date: 04/04/21 13:08
Author: tramfan

This past Thursday, April 1, my wife spotted #5940 NB at 8:37 am crossing Technology Drive in Verona. I didn't - as I was in the eye doctor's chair.

Date: 04/06/21 07:47

Where in Staunton does the Shenandoah Valley RR interchange with BB?

After they drop off cars for NS in Mount Crawford, does the Shenandoah Valley RR come right back south to Staunton?

Thanks

Date: 04/06/21 08:05
Author: Lackawanna484

When I saw their operation two years ago, the parking lot behind City National Bank in Verona was a good, well lit, and off the property location. The unit left some cars there, made drops, came back, etc. The railroad parallels Lee Highway / US 11 for miles up the Valley.

Date: 04/07/21 16:46
Author: engineerinvirginia

seaboardc30-7 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where in Staunton does the Shenandoah Valley RR
> interchange with BB?
>
> After they drop off cars for NS in Mount Crawford,
> does the Shenandoah Valley RR come right back
> south to Staunton?
>
> Thanks
>  

AS for where in Staunton they interchange.....their yard (SVR's) is below the hill behind the old cold storage plant with the BB main in between...and east (timetable east) from the pax station.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0477 seconds