Home Open Account Help 281 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > NS Track Gang like no others...

Date: 06/16/21 06:46
NS Track Gang like no others...
Author: bert14

A couple of years have gone by for videos I have posted here on TO...well here is one that spiked my interest again.
The NS R3(not sure if code is correct)Track Gang..only trackgang in the USA that replaces both rails at once. Shot with Iphone 6 in Cresson and Lilly, PA. There is a lot of going on... laying new rail and wedge plates and spikes in blue bags... cutting old rail in 40 ft lengths...for p/up and removal... removal & p/up & dumping of old spikes and wedges... moving old rail out and new rail in place... heating the new rail to relax the steel... new plates and spikes installed... and the magnetic picker upperers to clean it all up... many different machines mostly, but still the human touch for sure... 2 1/2 to 3 miles a day by this gang...Bravo!!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 06/16/21 07:53
Re: NS Track Gang like no others...
Author: ClubCar

Very good video to show everyone how maintenance is performed on a modern Class One Railroad.  Thanks for posting and sharing your video with all of us.
John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 06/16/21 08:42
Author: RRTom

Amtrak can and has changed both rails at once with their Track Laying Machine (TLM).

Date: 06/16/21 12:08
Author: ts1457

RRTom Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Amtrak can and has changed both rails at once with
> their Track Laying Machine (TLM).

Curiously, changing both rails at the same time was Southern Railway's method fifty years ago.

Date: 06/16/21 14:13
Author: PRR1361

And I think there's another TLM out there other than Amtrak's, not sure.

Date: 06/16/21 17:30
Author: pedrop

Very nice video. Thanks for sharing with us.

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 06/18/21 09:48
Author: retcsxcfm

All mechanized but still a lot of hrad work.

Uncle Joe
Seffner,Fl.

Date: 06/18/21 12:57
Author: dpudave

Bit of a dumbo here. I think I understood maybe half of what was happening. Great video anyway. d

Date: 06/18/21 14:59
Author: ns1000

Thanks for the video...

Date: 06/18/21 17:24
Author: ChrisCampi

Really good stuff! Lots of repetitive work involved here. Looks like the First Spiker setting gauge with the others filling in.

Date: 06/18/21 18:20
Author: OldPorter

Fascinating to watch. I really like the gauge setting operation and the big magnet "pick up" process.
Not easy work, even with the modern automation assists.  Congrats to these iron hard workers and
their rarely seen, yet vital (and difficult) Jobs. Thanks for letting us have a look here at this NS Track Gang.

Date: 06/18/21 18:28
Author: pedrop

Very nice video of a MoW gang in action. 

Pedro Rezende
Vespasiano MG,
https://youtube.com/c/minasgeraisrailways1

Date: 06/19/21 18:13
Author: coach

It seems installiing concrete ties eliminates alot of steps--insert the spring clip, and you're done---no spike driving in multiple holes, no rail anchors to install.  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0378 seconds