Home Open Account Help 259 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Zebra Stripped ex CN Barn and ex CN SD40 at rest in NC

Date: 08/02/21 13:46
Zebra Stripped ex CN Barn and ex CN SD40 at rest in NC
Author: scraphauler

Saturday July 31st found ACWR 5521 (SD60F) and ACWR 6926 (SD40-3) sunning themselves on the south leg of the wye in Aberdeen NC, awaiting the next assignment leading a CSXT G639 grain train to Candor NC late Sunday night.  Brief video of the short freight 6929/5521 led to Aberdeen Friday afternoon can be found on the You Tube at "Past the Office Window" which is a motley collection of mostly of stuff past my home along the ACWR. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/21 13:47 by scraphauler.

Date: 08/02/21 17:26
Re: Zebra Stripped ex CN Barn and ex CN SD40 at rest in NC
Author: briancdn

Nice photo. That cowl will look great in AC&W colors. The owners must have a Canadian connection, I think every engine is ex CN. Are there any GP40-2W's left on the roster? That's what I got last time I visited the area about 5 years ago.
Brian N.

Date: 08/02/21 18:31
Author: scraphauler

Last list I saw, they had 3 Canadian cab GP40-2, a road slug made from Canadian Cab GP40-2, a Canadian Cab GP40-3, 9 ex CN SD40-3, 15 ex CN SD60F, 5 ex UP MP15-AC, 1 ex UP yard slug (cut down GP30 I believe) ex NS F9A and F9B, a pair of ex MILW F7A, and an old ex CGW F3B

I THINK only one of the GP40s are in service - there are several stored in Seven Lakes NC. Think all the SD40s are in service. Only 1 of the SD60s are in service (pictured in original post) with rest stored in Starr NC I believe. I know one of the MP15s serves as the switcher at MountainAire farms in Candor (may be leased to them). Think others are stored, not sure. The ex NS Fs (well documented on this and other sites) and I believe all the others Fs along with the passenger car fleet and other toys are kept at the main shop and HQ on Rte 211 in Candor

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/02/21 18:31 by scraphauler.

Date: 08/04/21 04:37
Author: Asheville_G

Unfortunately those Cowl units will never get painted in ACW paint.

briancdn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice photo. That cowl will look great in AC&W
> colors. The owners must have a Canadian
> connection, I think every engine is ex CN. Are
> there any GP40-2W's left on the roster? That's
> what I got last time I visited the area about 5
> years ago.
> Brian N.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/04/21 06:26
Author: ctillnc

There was speculation that ACWR bought the SD60s in anticipation they would take over the Hamlet-Raleigh-Henderson and Apex-Durham lines from CSX. Never happened. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds