Home Open Account Help 397 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Couple of unique trains on the LIRC

Date: 09/14/21 19:27
Couple of unique trains on the LIRC
Author: srman

Heard the LIRC dispatcher talking about a military train heading south so I traveled north a few miles up the road to meet him. Turns out this the same seventy-nine cars that went to Camp Atterbury Indiana last week lead by KCS power now returning empty. LIRC JXTR with 2301 had the honors today as I caught him in Memphis Indiana.  I headed home after that but about thirty minutes later hear the dispatcher talking to a XTRA 14 with the 3002. One of the veteran units. Back up the road again. Got him at Scottsburg where the 3002 running long hood forward was leading the CSX safety train. Thanks for looking.  

Date: 09/15/21 02:42
Re: Couple of unique trains on the LIRC
Author: cctgm

This set of safety train cars Safety train # 1 and its sister train Safety train # 2 are no longer CSX trains, but now move under the banner of the builder Fiirefighters Enducation and Training Foundation and are now used for training on the nations Shortline and Regional Railroads this week train 1 in on the LIRC doing training and Train # 2 is on the Nwe York and Atlantic a sister company training FDNY firefighters , Since Febaruary the trains have made stops at over 28 locations trains railroaders and 1st responders.  Due to COVID the trains were idled from March 2020 until February 2021. There should be 10 more railroad stops for the 2 trains this year.
I assist in getting the cars moved around the country and teach some of the classes at the stops on the train. The Shortline Safety Inisitute does much of the training and then individual railroads can also contract for the of the train .
Thanks for the pictures and have a safe and a great week 

Date: 09/15/21 12:05
Author: DevalDragon

Any idea how the KCS power got back home?

Date: 09/15/21 14:08
Author: Lackawanna484

More about the firefighters safety and education foundation

https://www.thesafetytrain.org/index.html

Posted from Android

Date: 09/15/21 14:19

The KCS power came back to Louisville to the NS. On Sunday it was put on westbound I24.

Date: 09/15/21 14:41
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 09/15/21 15:07

I wanted to thank cctgm and Lackawanna484 for the clarifying information! 

Date: 09/15/21 15:08
Author: SantaFeRuss

What a cool looking SD45!

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds