Home Open Account Help 284 users online

Eastern Railroad Discussion > Turntable at Age of Steam Museum in Sugarcreek Ohio

Date: 10/06/21 13:51
Turntable at Age of Steam Museum in Sugarcreek Ohio
Author: TTStetz3

I am looking for additional information about the turntable at the Age of Steam Roundhouse and Museum in Sugarcreek Ohio. (I visited on Sept. 30th, see enclosed photo) I believe it is 115 feet long. Was this turntable newly built for the museum or acquired and moved from another location? Who built the turntable?

Date: 10/06/21 14:16
Re: Turntable at Age of Steam Museum in Sugarcreek Ohio
Author: jeffgeldner

Thanks for posting the photo. I haven't been in the area since the Ohio Central was still running the steam train between Sugarcreek and Baltic. In answer to our question, the roundhouse was built new. I am not sure what company (or various contractors) constructed it. Good information can be found on the website ageofsteamroundhouse.org. A railfan friend of mine visited the round house earlier this year (his wife is from Baltic) and he highly recommends a tour but do book in advance.

Date: 10/07/21 07:21
Author: wmfa2303

The turntable at the Roundhouse in Sugar Creek was originally installed at the Western Maryland Roundhouse, in Hagerstown Maryland.  It was the second turntable at that location and was installed  when the railroad purchased their M-2 Challlengers, in 1942?

Date: 10/07/21 08:01
Author: wmfa2303

Pictures of the Turntable in Hagerstown,  
Picture # 1 of the 2101 on the turntable in 1975, Denny Masters photo, take from the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum site
Picture #2 of the Hagerstown comple prior to its demilition, no photo credit available, taken from the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum site.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0472 seconds